Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Re: W520 "Airbag Sensor" BIOS diagnostics waiting 40 seconds for the Intel 510 SSD to &quo

Hey Mod, why is this thread marked Solved?

There are a number of completely unresoved, important issues here. Definately not solved from a customer perpective.

Please advise:

1) Do Lenovo even read these?

2) Does it matter if customers consider issues closed?

3) Do Lenovo intend to do anything about SSD compatability? 

Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: W520 "Airbag Sensor" BIOS diagnostics waiting 40 seconds for the Intel 510 SSD to &

@friday_phil,

Its marked solved as engineering has commented on 3rd party SSD issues. Please read the solution marked as solved.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Re: W520 "Airbag Sensor" BIOS diagnostics waiting 40 seconds for the Intel 510 SSD to &amp

JameZ,

As a number of others have already commented regarding your "official line" response, its completely unacceptable from a customer perspective. This sort of stonewalling might make your life easier, but it does not serve Lenovo or its customers.

My last three laptops were the best Lenovo's I could buy, as they, the product & the company used to deliver excellence. Now they deliver this sort of unresponsive, unhelpful rubbish. You leave us feeling duped and abandoned, and I hope someone else at Lenovo who cares about customer satisfaction is willing to do something about it do the work & provide some adequate customer service.

You say you appreciate our understanding. Is that meant to be as sarcastic as it sounds? I hope you can see you do not have our understanding. You have our complete frustation and dissappointment in your customer service. 

802.11n
huberth

which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the T520/W520?

[ Edited ]

@All,    We have reviewed several cases of unexpected quirks when using generic OEM SSD devices. While OEM drives with standard interfaces may work on Lenovo products, Lenovo has established, tested, and is prepared to fully support a number of Lenovo offered SSD drives. While I would encourage us to continue to discuss experiences here and share any solutions developed in the community or that may become available from engineering in the future, we are not able to formally escalate complications with 3rd party drives as they are not officially supported.      I appreciate your understanding...    //JameZ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To whom it may concernt at :Lenovo:

Lenovo officially confirmed that the T520/W520 support SATA III (6GB/sec)..

However, Lenovo does not offer any SATA III drives.

Please let us know which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the Thinkpad T520/W520?

mgoldshteyn

Re: W520 - various SSD issues

[ Edited ]

I took out my included 320GB hard drive and installed a Plextor SSD in its place. As part of doing that, I had to remove the black rubber feet on the sides (look like tank tracks) that cushioned the original hard drive and probably helped hold it in place, since they could not fit on my new SSD, due to its much larger thickness. However, now the only things seemingly holding the SSD to the laptop are the power / SATA connectors, since the hard drive is not in any way attached to the laptop body. I am concerned of the long term implications of this, since it seems that the SSD is just hanging off of the connectors with nothing else holding it securely in place.

Is this how the main hard drive bay is designed to function with an SSD? Should the SSD just hang off of the connectors with nothing securing it to the laptop itself?

802.11n
huberth

mgoldshteyn wrote:

I took out my included 320GB hard drive and installed a Plextor SSD in its place. As part of doing that, I had to remove the black rubber feet on the sides (look like tank tracks) that cushioned the original hard drive and probably helped hold it in place, since they could not fit on my new SSD, due to its much larger thickness. However, now the only things seemingly holding the SSD to the laptop are the power / SATA connectors, since the hard drive is not in any way attached to the laptop body. I am concerned of the long term implications of this, since it seems that the SSD is just hanging off of the connectors with nothing else holding it securely in place.

Is this how the main hard drive bay is designed to function with an SSD? Should the SSD just hang off of the connectors with nothing securing it to the laptop itself?

The Intel 510 SSD has the same thickness as a HDD and fits with the rubber mounts

harrisb

The drive should not be loose. You need to reinstall the rubber rails from the HDD. The original drive is 9.5mm and the rails should fit your SSD (thickness dimension is .3" according to the Plextor site). FRU p/n is 41V9756.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Punch Card
mgoldshteyn

[ Edited ]

The plextor site gives incorrect dimensions for the Plextor PX128M2S. Buyer beware! I measured the drive thickness with a ruler and it is no less than 0.375" (3/8ths of an inch) in thickness (9.5 mm!). I wish I had a caliper to give you an exact thickness in mm, but this is as close as I can get. 

Just to make sure that I still know how to use a ruler, I visually compared the Plextor's thickness with the 320 GB conventional hard drive that came with the laptop, and the Plextor SSD is significantly thicker. I mean to the tune of 25% - 33%.

The included rubber side rails do not fit without major distortion and the drive will not fit with them stretched on (and distorted) to the best of my ability. I am wondering whether with a drive that thick I need any rails at all, maybe parts of the cover and case press into the drive body and keep it securely in place with the cover closed. In any case, short of putting some sort of spacers around this mammoth of an SSD, it appears that there is no way to secure it. I am hessitant to use cabinet spacers on it though, because it's hard to get them off.

802.11n
huberth

Re: which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the T520/W520?

huberth wrote:

@All,    We have reviewed several cases of unexpected quirks when using generic OEM SSD devices. While OEM drives with standard interfaces may work on Lenovo products, Lenovo has established, tested, and is prepared to fully support a number of Lenovo offered SSD drives. While I would encourage us to continue to discuss experiences here and share any solutions developed in the community or that may become available from engineering in the future, we are not able to formally escalate complications with 3rd party drives as they are not officially supported.      I appreciate your understanding...    //JameZ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To whom it may concernt at :Lenovo:

Lenovo officially confirmed that the T520/W520 support SATA III (6GB/sec)..

However, Lenovo does not offer any SATA III drives.

Which SATA III drive(s) (if any) did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the Thinkpad T520/W520?

friday_phil

Re: which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the T520/W520?

This Lenovo support is a joke isn't it? They don't seem to like to answer questions that point to the real problems with their engineering.

No wonder they've just reported bumper profit growth (+100%!). Perhaps they got rid of all the people that used to look after customers after the cash came in.