Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
copter

Re: which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the T520/W520?

I just bought Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 3 SSD in hope to change my OEM 500GB HDD into this one and place original 500GB into Ultrabay as storage device.

My problem is that when I install this SSD into its slot and startup the system, everything takes forewer. If I enter BIOS, it might take maybe 1-2 minutes to get there and while waiting for this, computer keeps the HDD led on all the time like its trying to find / seek something from there. When I finally get into the BIOS, it anyway does see the drive tho. This happens every time and if I change back to normal HDD (in HDD bay), problem goes away immediately and everything works like it should.

Also I tried to clone my original system drive from original HDD using Ghost. After I finally get the system to boot from USB stick (it takes same 1-2 minutes to get into the boot menu etc, HDD led all the time on), it loads Ghost OK and Ghost does see both of the drives, but when I try to start cloning, it gives me bad sector error from SSD drive and exits.

I have had this same SSD in another computer and there's no problems. I can hook it up, create partitions & filesystem and read / write normally.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? I have latest BIOS and couple days ago I installed all updates which ThinkVantage update was able to provide. I guess this goes into the same category as previous posts, that something is not right with W520 SATA III port?

I know that this Corsair SSD drive has had its problems, but I have the latest version / firmware where all these problems should have been fixed. Also error symptons are completely different, so I think this is more related to W520 than Corsair SSD.

802.11n
huberth

copter wrote:

I just bought Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 3 SSD in hope to change my OEM 500GB HDD into this one and place original 500GB into Ultrabay as storage device.

My problem is that when I install this SSD into its slot and startup the system, everything takes forewer. If I enter BIOS, it might take maybe 1-2 minutes to get there and while waiting for this, computer keeps the HDD led on all the time like its trying to find / seek something from there. When I finally get into the BIOS, it anyway does see the drive tho. This happens every time and if I change back to normal HDD (in HDD bay), problem goes away immediately and everything works like it should.

I have had this same SSD in another computer and there's no problems. 

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? I have latest BIOS and couple days ago I installed all updates which ThinkVantage update was able to provide. 

I suggest to turn on Diagnostic Mode in BIOS. This will give you more info to troubleshoot.

copter

There's not much happening. In diagnostics mode the situation is the same. After power up all seems OK, it can see the SSD, optical (which I still have in place) and USB stick (if inserted). It reports these normally right after power up / reboot, but after that there's nothing going on. If I press F1 / F12 etc, it takes about 1-2 minutes before "Entering SETUP" text appears. After that it might take another 1-2 minutes to actually get into the BIOS and meanwhile waiting to get there I see "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message on the top of the screen.

If I don't go into the BIOS, but try to reboot from USB / optical, it takes very long time to get into boot menu of USB stick, but after that all goes smoothly when I actually am able to boot Ghost / Parted Magic etc. Also when waiting for this it shows the same "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message on the top of the screen. So booting the computer might take 2-4 minutes. I was able to secure erase SSD using Parted, but I wasn't able to clone partitions using Ghost.

I have all security chips etc disabled and UEFI / Legacy boot set to "Both" and priority set to "Legacy First". In actual boot order I have USB HDD first, optical second and HDD0 third.

802.11n
huberth

[ Edited ]

copter wrote:

There's not much happening. In diagnostics mode the situation is the same. After power up all seems OK, it can see the SSD, optical (which I still have in place) and USB stick (if inserted). It reports these normally right after power up / reboot, but after that there's nothing going on. If I press F1 / F12 etc, it takes about 1-2 minutes before "Entering SETUP" text appears. After that it might take another 1-2 minutes to actually get into the BIOS and meanwhile waiting to get there I see "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message on the top of the screen.

If I don't go into the BIOS, but try to reboot from USB / optical, it takes very long time to get into boot menu of USB stick, but after that all goes smoothly when I actually am able to boot Ghost / Parted Magic etc. Also when waiting for this it shows the same "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message on the top of the screen. So booting the computer might take 2-4 minutes. I was able to secure erase SSD using Parted, but I wasn't able to clone partitions using Ghost.

I have all security chips etc disabled and UEFI / Legacy boot set to "Both" and priority set to "Legacy First". In actual boot order I have USB HDD first, optical second and HDD0 third.

I also get the "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message for 40+ seconds with my Intle 510 SSD, but only when I do a warm reboot. 

It should only be there for less than a second. 

How long does the the "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message  stay up with your Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 3 SSD?

copter

It staid for the whole 1-2 minutes there while it was visible.

Anyway since it's saturday and I had some time, I visited the retailer of the Corsair SSD drive this morning and returned it back to the shop. I bought OCZ Vertex 3 instead since I have been reading a lot of good things about it and all my problems went away. It was about 40€ more that Corsair, but that really doesn't matter since I'm glad to pay a bit more if I just get a drive that works and that I can count on (reading all Corsair problems from their forums really made me second think about using the drive even if I get it to work).

So I swapped the drive into it's place and OCZ was detected properly straight from the start, no slowness, no hangups etc. Everything was running like it should. I cloned my old installation into this drive and after cloning I tried to boot from the SSD for the first time. It gave an error about not being able to boot (Windows error) and I booted Windows repair CD to see what's going on. After it booted up, it immediately told me that there's something wrong with the boot drive and asked if it's ok to fix it. I accepted and it didn't much tell me what it did, but anyway said that all should now be OK (I guess installed MBR, bootloader etc again). I restarted the computer without CD in drive and all was working. It booted to Windows 7 and Windows 7 detected my new SSD and wanted to reboot once more. 

After that I installed SSD Tweaks, let it to fix / optimize the system registry, settings etc for SSD use and rebooted again. Then I did re-run Windows Experience Index and it got rating of 7.9 for SSD. It was slower before (with HDD, cannot remember the value), so it seems that SSD is working OK and I'm getting some benefit from it too. I'm about to run some benchmarks later and I will be posting those into here. Also booting of the system is a lot more faster and I can feel the speed of the SSD while using the computer.

So all good here now. I cannot really say was the Corsair drive actually somehow broken or was this compatibility issue between W520 and Corsair, but anyway I cannot recommend that drive to be used with W520 based on my experience. Luckily I bought the drive from shop nearby and they handled the process very nicely when I wanted to return it back.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
copter

I did run CrystalDiskMark and here's the results: http://korvenmaa.net/scratch/w520_vertex3.png

Seems a bit slow to me, specially all writes. Need to see if there's anything I can do to improve performance.

802.11n
huberth

Lenovo W520 with SSD boot up delay during "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message

[ Edited ]

copter wrote:

It staid for the whole 1-2 minutes there while it was visible

For the 1-2 minutes, while the "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" message is up, it appears that the Lenovo BIOS is waiting for the hard drive to spin down, not knowing that it is dealing with an SSD.

I have the same issue with the Intel 510 SSD. 

Good that yo uwere able to return your Corsair SSD.

This specific problem does not occur with the Vertex 3.

copter

Re: Lenovo W520 with SSD boot up delay during "Active Protection sensor diagnostics start"

I reinstalled Intel Rapid Storage Driver & Console and also upgraded my SSD firmware from 2.02 to 2.11. Here's benchmarks after that:

http://korvenmaa.net/scratch/w520_vertex3_211.png

No real change, so it seems that I had the driver working just fine before the reinstall and firmware upgrade of SSD probably just increases stability etc.

Any ideas how to get better performance? I have been reading a lot of benchmarks where users have got a lot more better performance, so I guess this is somehow related to W520 SATA performance. Need to check what kind of results have been posted using W520.

Anyway I'm happy since all seems to be a lot more snappier while working, but sure better performance is always welcome. :smileyhappy:

Guru
harrisb

Re: W520 - various SSD issues

The 320GB drive is only 6.5mm thick! You need to secure the rails for the 9.5mm drive. The FRU parts are listed in the HMM.

mgoldshteyn wrote:

The plextor site gives incorrect dimensions for the Plextor PX128M2S. Buyer beware! I measured the drive thickness with a ruler and it is no less than 0.375" (3/8ths of an inch) in thickness (9.5 mm!). I wish I had a caliper to give you an exact thickness in mm, but this is as close as I can get. 

Just to make sure that I still know how to use a ruler, I visually compared the Plextor's thickness with the 320 GB conventional hard drive that came with the laptop, and the Plextor SSD is significantly thicker. I mean to the tune of 25% - 33%.

The included rubber side rails do not fit without major distortion and the drive will not fit with them stretched on (and distorted) to the best of my ability. I am wondering whether with a drive that thick I need any rails at all, maybe parts of the cover and case press into the drive body and keep it securely in place with the cover closed. In any case, short of putting some sort of spacers around this mammoth of an SSD, it appears that there is no way to secure it. I am hessitant to use cabinet spacers on it though, because it's hard to get them off.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
802.11n
huberth

which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the Thinkpad T520/W520?

@MarkLenovo

Lenovo officially confirmed that the T520/W520 supports SATA III (6GB/sec).

However, Lenovo does not offer any SATA III drives for the T520/W520.

Please let us know which drive did Lenovo use for testing SATA III on the Thinkpad T520/W520?