Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Core Memory
Dan_Falk

W520 - why only two external monitors? Anyone from Lenovo?

Hi,

From what I can gather, the W520 does not have "hybrid Optimus" mode and hence can drive only two external monitors, even when connected to the mini-dock.

Can anyone (from Lenovo?) tell me if this a hardware or software issue?Is an update to change this possible?

Why did Lenovo make this disappointing choice?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W520 - why only two external monitors? Anyone from Lenovo?

Dan_Falk wrote:

Hi,

From what I can gather, the W520 does not have "hybrid Optimus" mode and hence can drive only two external monitors, even when connected to the mini-dock. Can anyone (from Lenovo?) tell me if this a hardware or software issue?Is an update to change this possible? Why did Lenovo make this disappointing choice?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-76767.html and http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-76617 don't match.  The first document says 3 of the 5 display connectors on the dock can be used at the same time. In the second document, the W520 is nowhere to be found on the quad display sections. 

Could we get clarification if this is working as designed on the W520 (only 2 connection active from the dock) or a bug and it should do three?

Lenovo?

Punch Card
warakawa

interesting, I am also curious to find out if Quad display is possible on the w520. Lenovo can we have answers?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

The W520 can drive two external monitors and one internal monitor using the Optimus mode, using only the discrete card you can drive either one internal LCD + one external, or two external and the internal Switched OFF.

@warakawa, i suggest you follow Lenovo_ANZ twitter account, if you have a question on a specific system, you can directly post it to them.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Core Memory
Dan_Falk

I appreciate your reply, (lead_org), but my point is that the T410 and T420 can drive 4 external monitors, while the W520 can drive only two. I would like to know the technical reason this is true.

Yes, I will try to tweet Lenovo, thanks.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Dan_Falk wrote:

I appreciate your reply, (lead_org), but my point is that the T410 and T420 can drive 4 external monitors, while the W520 can drive only two. I would like to know the technical reason this is true.

Yes, I will try to tweet Lenovo, thanks.

Let us know.  I would certainly like to know what the technical problem is with the W520.

Punch Card
warakawa

[ Edited ]

Dan: I thought T410 and T420 with optimus can drive three external monitor plus the laptop monitor not four external monitor.

If W520 can not run quad display then I shall wait for the next Ivy Bridge W-series.

Paper Tape
makeitvisual

Any news from lenovo? I am so frustrated, I just bought a new w520 and the much expansive docking station 3 and had expected to have at least 3 monitors (1 internal, 2 external) but no...

did they provided an answer?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

makeitvisual wrote:

Any news from lenovo? I am so frustrated, I just bought a new w520 and the much expansive docking station 3 and had expected to have at least 3 monitors (1 internal, 2 external) but no...

did they provided an answer?

What external monitors are you trying to use?  How are you connecting them?

What's DOS?
sundaram

I am not able to extend the desktop across 3 displays.

The 3 displays are:

1. the internal LCD (that is attached to the W520)

2. two (external) V2431 LCDs

At best, I can get the desktop display to extend across one of the external LCDs.  The other LCD merely clones the same desktop image presented on the internal LCD.

I purchased the W520 because someone at CDWG convinced me that I would be able to use 3 monitors/displays simultaneously and that would extended desktop across all 3.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jay