Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
PTony1

Re: W520 will not wake from sleep

My W520 is completely stock and only about 2 months old.  It has the 500Gb hard drive (not SSD) and 8 Gb of RAM that it came with.  It refused to recover from hibernation mode right out of the box.  Sleep mode appeared to work normally the first couple times I used it but within the first month it would no longer wake from sleep.  After calling customer service and reading this blog I tried a few tricks, none of which worked.  So I called customer service again and they sent me a prepaid box to ship it to their service center.  I have to hand it to Lenovo.  When I have called customer service they never left me on hold for more than half a minute, and when they said they would send me a box it was at my house within 2 days.  I shipped the computer on a Tuesday afternoon and had it back in my hands on Friday of the same week with a note saying they had replaced the mother board.  It seems to work perfectly now, and I get this service for 3 years.  Not bad.

I would guess, based on what I have read on this blog, that there are several possible causes for this symptom.  In my case it seems to have been hardware.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

My machine did this for this first time this morning. I have another thread discussing sleep issues and it looks like my laptops problems are getting worse. Not sure if anything to do with this just happening but I did recently turn off Optimus and set discrete mode for the video, rebooted, used the machine for a bit, put it to sleep,and then tried to wake it and it turned on, the lights would flash, I could hear the fan, bd, and then it would turn off and just keep cycling through this until I pulled the cord and battery. I was thinking the sleep issues in my other thread were perhaps video driver related, but then this (I don't think the graphics changes caused the wakeup problem) but . Perhaps it is time to call Lenovo and request a box to send my 520 in for repair.

--I moved the memory around, perhaps that might help. Though I have a feeling, this laptop will soon be sent in for repair :-(. It is a month and a half old and it has been problematic since day one.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
wabisabi2004

I tried upgrading the drivers, still the same error. By now I gave up trying to fix this problem. Just know that it's there and either live with it (disabling sleep works for me), or simply get a new laptop from a different manufacturer, that's all :smileyhappy:.

Fanfold Paper
chenxiaolong

As far as I can tell, the issue comes from a corrupt BIOS NVRAM. Sometimes it can be fixed by loading the default settings in the BIOS. If the BIOS fails to load the settings, sooner or later, the computer will be stuck in a reboot loop, which happened to my W520 :smileysad:

I sent my laptop to Lenovo to have them replace the motherboard and they didn't take long at all (sent on Monday night, received on Wednesday morning) :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
existenz1

I have the same issue W510

goes to sleep when close the lid

When I open the lid the hd light flashes briefly and then nothing happens other than the power on light flashes slowly

windows 7 64bit, latest bios, latest videos drivers.

Paper Tape
tuneman410

[ Edited ]

I had this same problem ever since receiving my W520 with 8GB RAM (2x4GB DIMM's).  My laptop would go to sleep and then upon resuming from sleep would get stuck in some kind of boot loop where the thinklight and keyboard lights would flash and the power would repeatedly and rapidly cycle.  I then upgraded to 16GB RAM using 2x8GB DIMMS replacing the factory DIMMS in slot 1 underneath the keyboard and slot 1 under the ram door on the bottom of the machine.  The problem persisted 100% of the time. 

I then added two more identical 8GB DIMM's in the remaining slots and voila - no more problem!  I believe the issue to be caused by the quad-core i7 CPU not being able to properly address only half of the DIMM slots upon resume from sleep.  I am using an Intel SSD 520 + Factory HDD in the ultrabay and the latest NVidia optimus driver from Lenovo.  The RAM used was two kits of CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10.

Edit:  My system came with and is using BIOS v1.36

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi chenxiaolong. Do you have any other doc or references to the (reboot) loop being corrupt BIOS nvram? You say 'reboot' loop, do you have a different issue? How has your machine been acting since being replaced? Has yours done like mine (and like the creator of this thread it would seem) did before it was replaced? I Woke mine, the lights all flashed, it made some noise, and went to sleep again and just kept doing this over and over again until I pulled the battery and the power cord. One thing I did anyway was reseting the BIOS to defaults (I actually do this each time I do a BIOS update), also I moved the memory around (and have even added memory since then). I have not seen it do this again. Thus far. I found it interesting for me, changing the video modes in the BIOS seemed to set this off but that may have been coincidental but  maybe not given some other display specific related issues issues I have with my laptop (system and display issues related to the Benq XL2420TX I have). I think my bad luck is there are multiple problems with this thing.

Thanks 

Fanfold Paper
chenxiaolong

[ Edited ]

Hi christopherlang:

I assumed that the BIOS nvram was being currupted as I dumped the nvram before and during the issue and found that the contents were different. As soon as I reset the BIOS settings (and resume from suspend works), the nvram contents are the same as before.

As for the resume problem, I had the same issue as everyone else. All the lights would turn on for a second and then it went back to sleep and then repeated until I took out both the battery and power cord. Switching the memory around fixed it only once for me. Usually, resetting the BIOS to defaults will fix the problem. However, the BIOS eventually said "Failed to write to NVRAM section" or something similar and then it got stuck in a reboot loop. By that, I mean the system turns on and then shuts down before the BIOS logo comes up. It did this as soon as the system received power (even before I press the power button).

I'm not sure that I ever plugged in my external monitor during the BIOS stage. I usually plug it in after the system has completely booted.

EDIT: The issue was also triggered when I added more RAM to system.

EDIT2: Maybe the problem only exists in the newer BIOS versions? My original motherboard was upgraded to 1.36 and has the issue. My first replacement motherboard was preinstalled with 1.35 and had the issue. My second replacement motherboard has 1.26 and does not have the issue yet.

802.11n
christopherlang

Hi Chenxialong. Ouch, so the symptoms can be worse...I have seen the loop resuming from sleep, have not experienced it yet on a reboot.

Punch Card
Weston

I had the same exact sleep resume issue (also had SSS) and the issue was related to the ram, but not in a way you would expect. Having one or more ram modules in the bottom would cause issues with resuming from sleep.

It turns out that the ram bay door is faulty, which leads to the ram not being shielded. Static charge can corrupt the memory stored in ram and make it loop on resume from sleep.

The fix is to bend the metal tabs on the ram bay door up to make better contact with the laptop frame so the ram will be shielded. 

Tuneman410: It is likely you bent the tabs accidentally when you changed out the ram, thus fixing the issue. 

For those who are skeptic, the issue with the faulty shielding on the ram bay door is documented (see the SSS thread). 

Someone please try and see if this fix works on your laptop. It completely resolved any issues I had.