Support in other languages: 
802.11n
christopherlang

Re: W520 will not wake from sleep

[ Edited ]

Would of been better with the cover on :-) imo but no biggie (the gnd strap being the point). Can you try to make it occur with the different memory configurations? That would be really telling. You wrote it happens often enough in some configurations so perhaps this might be easy to do. So it seemed to occur more often when all the slots were populated? How are the slots banked on this I wonder, I forget. Just thinking about top and bottom slots. Anyway, it might be helpful to validate/document it is the memory configurations working/fail,freq,etc. Just an idea. Rearranging my memory helped me, and the failure (wake poweron loop) I saw did not happen again. (I wish I could remember if I was adding memory around then too).

802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

I've had the issue (looping/trying and failing to start after sleep) about 3 times in the past 6 months. Honestly I just clued in to this thread. I've seen the title "W520 will not wake from sleep" every time I come on the forum but I've had the issue so rarely that this is the first time I've clicked on this thread. It just happened again (the third time) about 10 minutes ago and something clicked in my brain that said "hey isn't there a thread on the Lenovo forums about this?!" so here I am. I too have no idea what could be causing it but I'll start playing around with things and see what I can figure out.

I don't have the most recent BIOS I guess I will try updating that, though not sure if that's solved the problem for other people.  I haven't had any other problems with my laptop.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
256 GB Crucial M4 mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi. I was at 1.36 or maybe right before that version when I saw the issue. I would recommend 1.37 unless you have some other reason not to update, see the forums (I also need to look at the fixes again but seems there was one fix to resume). Have you changed your memory configuration at all? Added memory? Could you try: slot,working/fail,freq,etc or something like this to test/document the issue? Heh and even then..but we can cross that bridge later if we have to.

802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

I increased the memory soon after I got the laptop (you can see my specs in my signature below). The failure to resume from sleep has happened so few times that I doubt I could easily test it. If I modified the RAM I'd have to wait 6 months to see if it made a difference :/ .

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Argh. Yes, you're right. I was also thinking about another post on this. Heh whatever this is, its probably a BIOS fix to resolve.

What's DOS?
drduer

Same issue with a new W520 - thanks for tacking down the solution.

Question - the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller devices listed on my W520 are very different that what's listed on the Lenovo site, so I'm not sure which device(s) need the drive update. Here's what my system shows under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

• ATA Channel 0
  • ATA Channel 0
  • ATA Channel 1
  • ATA Channel 1
  • Intel(R) Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C09
  • Intel(R) Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C01
  • Ricoh PCIe SDXC/MMC Host Controller

Should the driver update be applied to both of the Chipset controllers?

Punch Card
tinkererguy

SOLVED:

At least for my ThinkPad W520, that has had this nagging issue since installing an SSD in Oct 2011, here's the fix:

http://tinkertry.com/issue-thinkpad-waking-turning-off-password-protection-on-disks

Paper Tape
whiteboycat

The passwords were all already disabled for my computer. Yet I have been facing this issue ever since the computer was

purchased.

I am also running the newest drivers for my Lenovo W520. Every time I go out to meetings or work on documents I am afraid this computer will crash on me. 

Who should I talk to at lenovo for a replacement? 

Paper Tape
victl

I tried most of the suggestions mentioned in this thread but nothing helped my W520 (4282-3CG). Including update of the BIOS, latest drivers and removal of all of the ThinkPad/Lenovo crap-utilities.

But I noticed that this problem of not waking with blinking only appears when laptop was carried while sleeping. If I don't move it after I put into sleep, then it always wakes up properly. So to me it looks like a hardware problem, probably related to some bad contact. Also yesterday I noticed that it crashes and also goes into "blinking coma" during normal operation (video playback) if I hold laptop with only one hand on its edge (near ThinkPad label or on opposite side). This further points to my bad contact version.

Did any of you notice similar behaivour? Any ideas?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520(42823CG) i5-2540M | Quadro1000M 1600x900 | 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz | FDD 300GB | BIOS 1.38 | Win7Pro
802.11n
biznatch

victl wrote:But I noticed that this problem of not waking with blinking only appears when laptop was carried while sleeping. If I don't move it after I put into sleep, then it always wakes up properly. So to me it looks like a hardware problem, probably related to some bad contact.

At first I thought it was caused by connecting or disconnecting things when it was sleeping; if it was connected to AC then sleeps then unplug then wake from sleep.  Like, it was expecting the AC connection from before then when it wasn't there that messed something up.  But if I think about it, usually when I'm plugging or unplugging things it's because I'm going to carry my laptop somewhere.  I'll give it a few tests and see what happens.