Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Ramo

Re: W520 will not wake from sleep

I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's related to windows drivers as I'm running Linux on it. I'm also not using a docking station.

I had hoped updating the bios would fix it but it didn't :smileysad:

Punch Card

I took my machine to repair today. They ordered a new mother board and replaced my old one. I don't have this issue so far. I have tested it few times. So, guys take your machine to Lenovo and fix it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 4276-23U | Intel i7-2920 XM CPU | 16 GB RAM | Nvidia Quardo 2000M | 1920x1080 Display | Intel Advanced- N 6205 | Color Sensor | Finger Print Reader | BIOS1.34
Paper Tape
kachaps4u

I have the same problem. I tried to go some service providers in Chantilly, VA and they say they are not in good terms with Lenovo. Anyway where did you go to fix it? I am a developer and I need it to be fixed asap. I had already called up the customer care and they are like sending a box to send this laptop and they will be able to fix it in 6 days. I can't do that! Please suggest. Thanks..

Punch Card

Update:

It still doesn't wake up correctly every time. I hate this issue. It drives me crazy. I am going to take the machine to them again tomorrow.I found a place that is really close to my house. You might want to go http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/findServiceProvider.page? and enter yoru address, you might be able to find some places that are close to you. If you can't find them, you really need to send the machine back. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 4276-23U | Intel i7-2920 XM CPU | 16 GB RAM | Nvidia Quardo 2000M | 1920x1080 Display | Intel Advanced- N 6205 | Color Sensor | Finger Print Reader | BIOS1.34
Paper Tape
kachaps4u

That 's horrible... I read about this RAM problem in the knowledge base coonecting to W510 laptops. Will that solve issue for us? I have a 16 gb RAM. I am thinking of taking out the non-default ones.. I will post after that test.  

Punch Card

They told me that have some advanced testing programs for diagonstics issues. I will just ask them to run those test on my machine. Hopefully, they can find all the issues and kill them all. Being a laptop, a stable maching is really important. I can't believe I paid so much money for it, however it keeps having issues.

Paper Tape
kachaps4u

As this is my company lap, I don't have any comments on that but don't worry this lap performs really well!! I have 4 servers running on this. And it performs really well in a developer perspective.. And I didn't run any games to check the Graphics card but I guess its one step closer to be called as a beast! I think the only issue is sleep problem right? I just had that and I felt everything else is excellent and one more thing, that screen get dirty!  talking about the problem, I also read that power management software installed drives the system crazy in deciding to shutdown/sleep/hibernate when comparing to the power options of windows.. If your system is getting ON, I think you should try to uninstall that!

Punch Card

Yeah. The performence of this machine is really  great. I usually run more than 5 applications on it, it is still fast. By the way, I don't think our graphic card which is Nvidia Quardo Series is a gaming graphic card as far as I know. But it definately doesn't have any problems to run some games like WarCraft 3 or Star Craft 2. You might want to try it though. I just hate that this maching doesn't wake up once I need to change my classroom very often. I have tried few times today, about half of the times it still doesn't wake up even though I have this new mother board on. Other than that, I can't complain anything else so far. I asked Tech Support about the Power Management, they don't think that is a problem. So, I guess they need to figure the isse out. I have posted help on some other tech forum, they said this is an old ThinkPad issue, I will keep following this, and let you know what's going on. Hopefully, we can get this **bleep** issue killed.

Blue Screen Again
nmoehring

Hi kachaps4u,

I just had the same problem with my w520 and I'm also a developer that needs his machine. I did the last thing that I could imagine: disconnect the BIOS battery from the main board, wait a little bit, connect it again and .. it works again.

I don't know how much you are into hardware, but you only have to screw 4 screws off and remove the keyboard. Then you can access the connection from the battery to the main board. It is approximately under the key '6'. The wires go to the right where my battery has some yellow plastic around.

I hope this helps. I'm glad that I don't have to give my laptop away.

Regards

Norbert

Fanfold Paper
Ramo

I can confirm that this issue happens under windows and Linux.

Also, due to the repeated loss of power resulting from this, I had my SSD fail and lost all my data.

Is this the quality of top of the line Thinkpads?