Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
wabisabi2004

Re: W520 will not wake from sleep

Thanks for your feedback everybody!

I just tried upgrading firmware to 1.36 - still no luck... Holy cow, it's hard to believe that lenovo has a hard time fixing this huge issue... My next lap will be a Mac.

BTW, what's your model number, I am running ThinkPad W520 (4270)?

What's DOS?
kkboss

[ Edited ]

I got a new Thinkpad W520 (42763JU) last week and have experienced this issue a few times already.  

When I open the lid all of the lights flash like it's starting to wake up from sleep.  Then there's a 5-10 sec pause, and they all flash again.  Over and over and over until I hold the power button to turn it off & back on or pull the battery.

Specs are:

i7-2760QM, FHD, 16GB, 160GB SSD, NVIDIA 1000M

Has anyone had this issue repaired by Lenovo yet?  Does their tech support already know about this issue?  I'm not sure what I should do.  I concerned that forcefully turning the laptop on and off when this happens will damage it and possibly result in data loss.

Fanfold Paper
Ramo

I may have found a solution under windows: Update all drivers.

I upgraded the latest firmware and it didn't seem to help but when I upgraded all the drivers (using lenovo's system update utility) a couple of days ago haven't noticed the issue since then.

worth a shot.

Punch Card

Update guys,

I have tried everything I can to fix this issue, however I haven't got it fixed yet. The only thing that I haven't done right now is sending this machine back. Let them do it. Here is the list for what I did for this issue:

1. Changed monther board twice at local repairing center.

2. Update everything that I can.

3. Re-installed system.

4. Let system check itself.

So, I still have this issue right now, I have called Lenovo few times, they suggest me to send this machine back. I will do that at summer, hopefully it iwll get fixed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 4276-23U | Intel i7-2920 XM CPU | 16 GB RAM | Nvidia Quardo 2000M | 1920x1080 Display | Intel Advanced- N 6205 | Color Sensor | Finger Print Reader | BIOS1.34
Paper Tape
tsgates

W520 doesn't initiate restore from S3 ram suspended. I can reliably show this
problem in my machine. By the way, the symptom is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Mi4tqUaZc

(it's not my video btw)

1. Make it sleep to ram
2. Block heat sink (left side of laptop)
   (simply put laptop into sleeve & lean left side -- vertically)
3. Wait for >1min

I suspected that thermal sensor triggers acpi signal while the machine
sleeps. When lid is open, the acpi wake up switch trigger os to restore the
suspended state, but seems to be failed triggering lid switch.

I suspected linux so I've tested custom kernel with s2ram debug mode & tested
with all combinations of hardware (by excluding one of each). No luck. I can
workaround a bit by pushing W520 right side, without blocking heat sink. But
I can't bare with something that I don't understand behind the scene.

I am happy to know whether someone already resolved.

Paper Tape
PTony1

[ Edited ]

I purchased a W520 (4276-37U) in January of this year, so it is now just over 2 months old.  I am running Windows 7 Professional.  I do not have a docking station and I have not added any hardware.  It too refuses to wake from sleep or hibernation even when I keep the lid open and initiate one of those states with a key combination.  It is very disappointing to learn that this problem is endemic to this machine.  I will contact Lenovo and send it back to them if necessary.  I will post the results when I have some.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

What's DOS?
jptsetme

[ Edited ]

I have a W520 and I suffered from this problem for a couple of months before solving it.  I'm posting back here with the details in the hopes that it will help some of you, and also in the hopes that someone other poor soul might find this via a google search.  It's an infuriating problem, though in the end it was probably my fault.  I'm sure that this won't fix everyone's problems (certainly not the Linux people), but it has 100% corrected the problem for me.

My system is a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 16GB RAM, a Crucial C300 64GB SSD (internal) and a 500GB 7200 rpm drive (that came with the machine) (ultrabay).  I'm not convinced that the SSD triggered the problem, but I do think it's noteworthy that I did a clean install of Windows 7 when I put in the SSD as my boot drive, and I did not install all of the Lenovo drivers.  (I typically download everything but sometimes avoid installing drivers for devices that appear okay in Device Manager after the default windows install).

My symptoms were that sometimes (but not always) my system would not resume after sleep.  I would see the keyboard light (above the display) flash on and the hard disk light would briefly flutter, but then it would sit there with a blank screen (not backlit), appearing to do almost nothing.  Thinkpad buttons seemed to work (the mute button toggled the light on & off), but others did not (caps lock button did not toggle the light).  If I left the system in that state for long enough (typically 15 minutes or more), it would eventually reboot, and I would get notified that a bluescreen had happened after the reboot completed (though I never saw the "blue screen" itself since the display was off).  The BlueScreen  error was a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (0x0000009f) in ntoskrnl.exe.  And again, it typically didn't result in a bluescreen report b/c I almost always forced a reboot after realizing it was not resuming from sleep (usually within a minute or so).

While googling around for a solution to laptop bluescreens during resume, I stumbled across a post where someone asked about the driver used for the SATA controller, and did the person have an Intel SATA controller.  I looked in Device Manager and found that I was using the default Microsoft SATA driver, although the W520 has an Intel SATA controller.  I went to the Lenovo support site and downloaded the latest driver (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74430), and after installing it I suspended/resumed dozens of times with no recurrence of the issue.  In fact, I don't think I've shutdown or rebooted since fixing this issue a couple of weeks ago.  (After running the driver install program, you need to go to device manager, right click on the SATA Controller, choose Update Driver Software and the point to the directory where the driver software was installed by the exe you downloaded.)

It's interesting to note that the driver I installed is quite new (or was at the time of this writing), released on March 5, 2012.  Also interesting is that the release notes list the following change:  "(Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might hang with 0x9F blue screen."  I can't say with certainty whether the older Intel driver had the same issue as the Microsoft driver I was using, but I can say with certainty that *my* problem was fixed by installing only this driver (no other changes).  So if you have the same symptoms I describe above, I think it's worth your while to try this fix.

Good luck!

What's DOS?
Sox12

Tried all the stuff suggested here and nothing resolved the issue.  What worked for me was to disable the hard drive "Airbag Protection"

Punch Card

Sox12,

So, it looks like you finally got the issue soloved? I still have not found anyway to fix the problem yet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 4276-23U | Intel i7-2920 XM CPU | 16 GB RAM | Nvidia Quardo 2000M | 1920x1080 Display | Intel Advanced- N 6205 | Color Sensor | Finger Print Reader | BIOS1.34
802.11n
huberth

[ Edited ]

jptsetme wrote:

While googling around for a solution to laptop bluescreens during resume, I stumbled across a post where someone asked about the driver used for the SATA controller, and did the person have an Intel SATA controller.  I looked in Device Manager and found that I was using the default Microsoft SATA driver, although the W520 has an Intel SATA controller.  I went to the Lenovo support site and downloaded the latest driver (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74430), and after installing it I suspended/resumed dozens of times with no recurrence of the issue.  In fact, I don't think I've shutdown or rebooted since fixing this issue a couple of weeks ago.  (After running the driver install program, you need to go to device manager, right click on the SATA Controller, choose Update Driver Software and the point to the directory where the driver software was installed by the exe you downloaded.)

It's interesting to note that the driver I installed is quite new (or was at the time of this writing), released on March 5, 2012.  Also interesting is that the release notes list the following change:  "(Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might hang with 0x9F blue screen."  I can't say with certainty whether the older Intel driver had the same issue as the Microsoft driver I was using, but I can say with certainty that *my* problem was fixed by installing only this driver (no other changes).  So if you have the same symptoms I describe above, I think it's worth your while to try this fix.

----------------------------------------------

There is even a newer version  than 10.8.0.1002 of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014898

directly from the Intel site: Ver 10.8.0.1003
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

I have installed it on My W520 without problems.