Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
andrehe

W520 with 32 GB RAM and slow performance

hi all

I post this info for those of you running into similar problems when upgrading the W520 to 32 GB RAM.

I've a W520 2720QM with Windows Server 2008R2 installed which I upgraded to 32 GB RAM with 4x8 GB CORSAIR Value RAM Modules. After doing this, the Laptop was incredibliy slow on performance and starting of programs took a long time.

I solved this with changing the Grafic option from Optiums to Integrated in the BIOS (1.35). After that, performace is back as before. In the BIOS there is a message saying, that the Optimus setting should be set only if Windows 7 is installed. As I'm not running W7 I had to change the setting.

Token Ring
Chatbox

Re: W520 with 32 GB RAM and slow performance

[ Edited ]

Seems like this is an ongoing nVidia issue.  The driver (even the official nVidia one) doesn't have Optimus capability in Windows Server 2008 R2

Question is though, is this an issue with having 32GB RAM, or originally have the Optimus option enabled in the BIOS?  i.e. Did you have the issue with 16GB RAM (while having Optimus enabled)?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Do you have the Hyper-V role installed?

This can have a rather large impact on performance, especially depending on the GPUs present and the amount of memory in the system.

What's DOS?
andrehe

good question I forgot to describe.

With 16 GB of RAM using 2x8 GB Moduls or even 4x4 GB Modules and Optimus enabled in BIOS, performance is fast. As soon as I switch to 4x8 GB Modules I have to change the Video settings in BIOS or performance slows down.

So it seems to be a problem with 4x8 GB Module configuration.

What's DOS?
andrehe

Yes, I'm using Hyper-V. With 16 GB RAM either with 2x8 or 4x4 GB Modules and Optimus enabled in BIOS, the performance is fine. It really slows down only with 4x8 GB Modules and Optimus enabled.

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hmm, currently another guy with 24GB of RAM have similar issues here

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-nVidia-optimus-does-not-work-after-memory...

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62... 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Does it perform correctly when the BIOS Display setting is set to Discrete?