Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
bhowell

Re: W700 nVidia 3700 Stops Responding and then Recovers

Hi JimW700,

I know I'm coming to this a little late, but I have experienced this exact same issue consistently in almost any software / power scenario since I received my W700ds in March.

I also have the Quadro 3700, however I'm running Vista Business 64 SP2 with all available updates from the Lenovo site. The big difference though is that I opted for the plain vanilla DVD-R/W drive, but still experience the strange drive seeking sound (when not in use) whenever the screen dies.

Did you ever resolve your issue? I'm desperate for a solution.  

Thanks.

Token Ring
JimW700

Hi, Thanks for the note. My issues are not resolved ... still occurring. I have not applied SP2 since was advised not to by the Lenovo Tech. In checking last evening there seems to be many updates to various drivers and firmware applicable to the W700 in Jne and July none of which I have installed. To what level of currency are you applying updates? Jim
Paper Tape
bhowell

Sorry to hear the issue is still occuring for you. I too had high hopes for Lenovo's quality control and support, and I'm now regretting having paid a premium for it.

In answer to your question, I have all updates execept the very latest 7/24 BIOS release. I will apply it as soon as I can backup some critical files, however the release notes don't suggest there are any relevant fixes included in the update.

Given we have different optical drives and different OS versions (but still Vista 64), I'm inclined to focus on the similarities as the source of the issue. We both have the 3700, I have the quad-core extreme CPU, 4gb of RAM, and two 160gb 7200rpm drives in RAID 0, WACOM, Pantone, and compact-flash slot vs. expresscard. Do any of these match you?

After reading various posts my gut feeling is that it's either an issue with the Intel Matrix driver or a problem with the power-supply/battery supplying enough power to all components during heavy use. Regarding the second point the 3700 seems to pull a great deal of extra power when being worked hard, I have an otherwise well matched 12v power inverter for when I'm on the road which screems and trips almost in sync with this issue.

Fingers crossed.
Token Ring
JimW700

Hi Again,

It would not surprise me if it is all an issue with the Matrix drivers from Intel ... see earliest posts and communications.

Yes we have many aspects in common so I will only note differences from your most recent posts.

Same CPU but 8 GB RAM,  two 320 GB 7200RPM HDD not in raid configuration, express card with CF reader.

I've been away a fair bit so have not been on the forum much and certainly haven't used Lenovo update board.  I guess I should really do that and then call Tech Support to register another Support Ticket.

I do a fair amount of CS4 pp work.  I keep getting the Update your Graphics Card Acceleration message, but it is up to date.  Do you get that message?  From a quick glance at other board postings it seems that the Open GL is also in play for workstation GPUs.

Jim

Paper Tape
bhowell

I too experience the problem more frequently in CS4 and Lightroom, but also Skype (video mode) and VMware running Kubuntu. Now you mention it - all of these are very heavily reliant on OpenGL.

I also get the CS4 warning but Adobe's knowledge base downplays the significance.. sorry forgot the article #.

I'll update the BIOS. Please let me know when you log a support ticket and I will call them and log my support of it.
Token Ring
JimW700

I'll let you know when I log a Support Ticket, however it is unlikely this week as I have 5 Grandchildren to care for this week with my spouse and no parents.

Jim