Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
jgt1942
Accepted Solution

W700 will no longer boot in the mini dock

Just recently my W700 fails to boot when it is in the dock. It will freeze at the ThinkPad splash screen. I'm forced to remove the W700 from the dock, power off, and then power on. Once it is past the ThinkPad splash screen I can plug it into the dock and use it without issue. If desired I can remove it from the dock, obtain a wireless connection (automatically) and then return it back to the dock and reconnect (automatically) to the wired connection.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 with the latest updates from Lenovo and Microsoft.

jgt1942
Token Ring
schmidtj

Re: W700 will no longer boot in the mini dock

I wonder what devices you have plugged into the Mini_dock that could potentially be bootable devices but aren't?

Flash Drives?

USB Drives?

Also what is your Boot order in the BIOS?

If USB devices come before your normal boot device (HD) try moving the HD before the USB devices in the boot order and see if that helps.

Punch Card
jgt1942

schmidtj - great suggestion - I must be brain dead on my end - I have two drives connected, 1-USB and 1-eSATA. For whatever reason the eSATA had gone into some state that was confusing the W700. I powered off and on the eSATA and now all is working as expected.

jgt1942
HDMI
GatorBob

My W700 dock just began to do the exact same thing... boot to splash screen then freeze.. I have an eSata drive on the dock. I am traveling for 3 months but will try the fix when I get home.

Punch Card
jgt1942

I thought that I had resolved the issue but my eSata drive frequently goes into the state where it creates the boot issue. Whenever the boot issue surfaces I power off the eSata drive and all is OK until the next time. Obvious there is an issue that has not been discovered and the eSata drive hanging in the weird state is a sympton of the issue. At this time I have a temp workaround but not a solution. Any suggestions?

jgt1942
Fanfold Paper
deanwalters102

Did you ever find a solution to your boot problem?  The same thing is happening to my W510.  What I found is that if you just power-off then power-up it usually works the second time, but you have to tell the boot sequence to skiup the recovery.  I have been talking with the tech support about this and replaced the docking station with out sucess.  Found one of my AC adapters rarely caused a problem so Lenovo sent me two more to try out.  They don't work as well.  I need to start up a conversation with Lenovo again to find a fix.

By the way the boot problem happen with no devices hanging on the mini-dock or attached to the laptop so I don't believe an external device is causing the problem.  At least not for me.