Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

Re: W701 crash problems

I am running 257.38 for two days now (FX 2800M) and have not had any problems yet.

Except bug with color space settings reverting sometimes is still here (seem to be Lenovo utility bug, not driver-related).

What's DOS?
David_Myers

HI everyone I have a W701 with, 17 gb of ram the nvidia 3800m graphics card , basically I maxed out everyhting i could on the european site and I have been having what I thought were exactly the same problems as the person who started this thread. I get arbritray blue screens of death during regyular operation that often tell me to "eset my disply driver and recover fromt he error. I have updated all the drivers but the erros persisted, I completely reinstalled my entire system, had an error free week and they came back with a vengence. Now in additon to the run of the mill "reset display driver" messages the system sometime freezes and the monitor turns red, magenta, white then black or black with a white square in the top left corner.

I have spoken to lenovo support quite a bit and I figured my constant calls red flagged some algorithm at their offices and they sent a technician to replace the mother board or "main board" as lenove call it.

I found this a litte suspect since after the ridiculous number of diagnostics I did at lenove support's request that came up with no problems they basically went its not the hardware so its not our problem. The technician also thoguht it was a bit weird since they didn't actually brief him on what the porblem was and recommended against replacing the part since basically it requires dismantling the whole laptop, a task I would be worried about doing  in a clean room let alone in my grubby living room. He told me to keep a log of my errors and try and call lenovo support back with the new errors I encountered. I have had no fewer than 10 serious system crashes since then. the computer is barely 3 monthes old has worked error free for no more than 3 weeks. I am very fed up at this point and have made a formal request for a replacemnt unit since my reasoning goes like this:

they couldn't have built up the reputationt hey have and made any money off the W701's if they are all crippled by arbritrary system crashes.

They of course are **bleep** footing around, and are coming to take my laptop to a depot for a full diagnostic but I really just want the **bleep** thing to work at this point.

Has anyone had similiar problems in additoon to the video driver issues? Any viable solutions? Any thoughts form the lenovo powers that be on taking my FIVE AND A HALF THOUSAND POUNDS and basically giving me a semi functional machine?

Blue Screen Again
SharePoint_Radi

Hey David,

I was having the same problems as you for about 6 months. 3 days ago I decided to try out a recent game, and it was crashing all the time.

I installed this nVidia driver directly from the nVidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html 266.58 version.

I pretty much have the same specs as you, and after the driver update I have no problems at all. Video playback, 3D, seem to work fine.

The bottom line is Lenovo is becoming bad at driver updates with new models. Their drivers are way behind with updates, while they are VERY necessary. If I don't see driver update improvements with lenovo, I will spend my next 6k EURO on DELL/Alienware.

Hope this helps you out and you sort out your problems.

WWAN
hazart

[ Edited ]

SharePoint_Radi wrote:

Hey David,

I was having the same problems as you for about 6 months. 3 days ago I decided to try out a recent game, and it was crashing all the time.

I installed this nVidia driver directly from the nVidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html 266.58 version.

I pretty much have the same specs as you, and after the driver update I have no problems at all. Video playback, 3D, seem to work fine.

The bottom line is Lenovo is becoming bad at driver updates with new models. Their drivers are way behind with updates, while they are VERY necessary. If I don't see driver update improvements with lenovo, I will spend my next 6k EURO on DELL/Alienware.

Hope this helps you out and you sort out your problems.

I have to report that the default installation of 266.58 on my W701 with FX 3800M still gave me intermittent lock-ups, like all other 2xx.xx drivers.

This is not a Lenovo specific problem but a generic one with NVIDIA PowerMizer. See my solution here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W701ds-Nvidia-display-driver-crashes-frequentl...

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

I think the NVidia PowerMizer (dynamic frequency switching) is the main culpit. Looks like these Quadros can't reliably frequency switch.

Following the advice I've disabled PowerMizer and now using driver 266.58 (from NVidia site) for 1.5 weeks without bluescreens or "driver recovered" errors.

Fanfold Paper
arretium

I have to report that I am suffer from serious crashes from my video card.  My laptop has been to the depot 3 times for repairs.  The system still hangs.

I've tried 8.17.12.5738 / 1.0.15.0 Lenovo's latest drivers, as well as the original driver that came with the machine, and Nvidia's latest driver (version 8.17.12.6658).  I'm currently using the latest driver.

I dual boot both Win 7/64  and Win Xp/32

The situation is simple:

No matter the game (Dungeons, Ages of Empires, Star Wars Battlefront, Wow, Quake 4) my computer will crash during game play. 

I'm really at a loss and frustrated by the $4K I spent on a machine that is essentially an overpriced office 2007 appliciation machine that has no capability to handle intensive graphics  applications.

I have heard that this video issue is why lenovo pulled the W701.  I note that they still sell the W701ds.  I'm not happy.  I'd like Lenovo to fix my frakkin laptop or give me a new one, but I don't think they care.

Fanfold Paper
arretium

I have a W701 with 8 GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive and 128 GB ssd drive, wacam digitizer pad, Nvidia FX3800.
WWAN
hazart

Ingvarr wrote:

I think the NVidia PowerMizer (dynamic frequency switching) is the main culpit. Looks like these Quadros can't reliably frequency switch.

Following the advice I've disabled PowerMizer and now using driver 266.58 (from NVidia site) for 1.5 weeks without bluescreens or "driver recovered" errors.

Since 18x.xx drivers worked without any lock-up, etc. and PowerMizer was fully operational, I feel that NVIDIA must have messed up the PowerMizer in the 2xx.xx drivers. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.

What's DOS?
David_Myers

I have gottne my W701 back from the depot about a 4 days now and have had my first blue screen, I am trying the updated drivers route but I feel exactly the same as alot of you, I've shelled out enough for a car on this machine and it doesn't seem to want to work and lenovo was quite happy to take my money pat me on the head and basically tell me to deal with.

I am still very angry, will post as situation develops.

What's DOS?
raiday

Hello,

I have a W701 from december 2011 and after opening many tickets to lenovo support the situation have now got better.

In the first month, my W701 used to crash with an average of 2 to 3 time per day. Now it crashes or freezes "only" 2 or 3 times per week. I'm sure that lenovo lab released the W701 in the market after minimal or no testing at all. 50% of the crashed I experienced are due ti the nvidia 2800FX display driver.

I have had in the past many notebook from other companies (Sony, HP, Acer, IBM, DELL) and  I have never incurred in a Laptop with a so bugguous driver/firmware/bios.

My next laptop for sure will not be a lenovo one.

regards