Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
JeremyW
Accepted Solution

WANTED: Thinkpad W510 BIOS FL1 or WPH Update Files

[ Edited ]

In short, I am looking for either .FL1 and .FL2 or ideally .WPH BIOS flash update files for the W510 to try and recover from a failed BIOS update.  If anyone can send me a link, personal message me the file/information, or add to the discussion I would appreciate it.

The long story is, I was performing a BIOS update to my W510 through the Windows interface which reported completing successfully. Upon completion a reboot was requested which I complied. While booting up I made the fatal mistake of attempting to verify the BIOS update did actually complete successfully but attempting to enter the BIOS interface... this resulted in the system freezing up and sitting at the POST startup screen for more than 10min. After which I begrudgingly attempted to do a hard restart and this confirmed that the BIOS was corrupt.  Now, all that happens when I press the power button is the keyboard LED’s and camera light come on for 1 second and nothing else.  I was hoping to try to use the Crisis Recovery tool but it needs the BIOS file in a WPH format.  I have been able to get into the BIOS update files only far enough to see corrupt .FL1 and .FL2 files for which I have a tool which should be able to expand them into a WPH.  Don’t understand why the 25MB .ISO BIOS update files on the Lenovo official website are all mount/burn as blank.  I can’t believe that all their images are corrupt so I must be doing something wrong.

Any help of any kind is appreciated.  Thank you,

Jeremy

802.11n
Santoku

Re: Thinkpad W510 Bios.wph

I made a backup of v1.41 with Universal BIOS Backup Tool kit, however it's output is not the format you are looking for, and the Phoenix BIOS Editor cannot read the file. Suggestions ?
Punch Card
JeremyW

Re: WANTED: Thinkpad W510 BIOS FL1 or WPH Update Files

[ Edited ]

Thank you for reading my post and attempting to help. What format/file extension was the BIOS saved in... maybe I can find a way using it as a starting point to change the file into something that Phoenix Crisis can read.

Punch Card
JeremyW

Bump
802.11n
christopherlang

Hi. You may wish to head over to http://forums.mydigitallife.info/ and some of their BIOS forums. You should have more luck over there with your questions. I have seen a few discussions on how to extract and save the BIOS into the format you want. Also there is probably nothing wrong with the firmware update ISO you tried. They all mount blank because there is another image file there if I recall correctly. Look for discussion on the firmware ISO, you should find something about that to. Most of the people there seem to be doing SLIC mods and whitelist mods.

Thanks

802.11n
Santoku

I sent you a personal message with links to the Lenovo BIOS file, and two tools to get the . FLx files you are looking for.
Punch Card
JeremyW

Thank you for all the help but I believe the claim that FN+B will force a BIOS reload is not the right key sequence for the W510 or my problem is far more severe than I original thought.  I have tried multiple times with a USB floppy drive plugged into the USB 2.0 port and also teh USB 3.0 ports without the drive ever being accessed.  I also tried a USB drive without success as well.  At this point I am left to conclude that I have only two options:

1) Replace the motherboard for $1,000 (not going to happen, I would sooner part this laptop out and buy a new one)

2) Buy a working BIOS chip for $30 off eBay and pay a local repair shop $185 or so to solder/swap the two.

Real crappy job Lenovo on writing your BIOS update software.  I definately won't feel bad the next time I have support come out to my house to replace the motherboard a few times to even the score.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Your W510 is out of waranty?

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

JeremyW, see this. It can't hurt to ask. Best of luck.

Community Moderator
richk

You cannot dump the entire BIOS image from one machine and move it to another. Some parts do not get replaced during the BIOS update because they have security information that is unique to that particular board. If you move an image from another machine it will not boot.