Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
JeremyW

Re: WANTED: Thinkpad W510 BIOS FL1 or WPH Update Files

[ Edited ]

In the end I never found a way to force a boot of the BIOS to reload it; and after some more research the laptop parts were worth far less than I first thought so it made sense to try replacing the BIOS.  I purchased a new BIOS chip from biosdepot on eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/260896786409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ($39), took the motherboard out, took it down to a local computer repair shop MCC Computers out of San Jose, CA http://www.mcccomputers.com/ and had them solder on the new chip ($80).  It works perfectly again.  Thank you everyone for your help and to Lenovo ... SUCK IT for making crappy BIOS update software and not taking any responsibility for it!

802.11n
christopherlang

Sounds good :-)

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

JeremyW wrote:

In the end I never found a way to force a boot of the BIOS to reload it; and after some more research the laptop parts were worth far less than I first thought so it made sense to try replacing the BIOS.  I purchased a new BIOS chip from biosdepot on eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/260896786409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ($39), took the motherboard out, took it down to a local computer repair shop MCC Computers out of San Jose, CA http://www.mcccomputers.com/ and had them solder on the new chip ($80).  It works perfectly again.  Thank you everyone for your help and to Lenovo ... SUCK IT for making crappy BIOS update software and not taking any responsibility for it!

Glad you got the machine fixed.  This was a terrible lesson to learn. I know on my personal machines I'll never use the .EXE BIOS update program.  Too risky.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

I have had no problems ever using windows BIOS update tools. But then I ensure it is from a fresh boot and idle system, that the system has not slept/resumed, and if you like, turn of your AV as well. With these simple steps I have had no problems, knock on wood ;-) of course. I do prefer a DOS boot and tools to do updates though.

Blue Screen Again
loggedin

Re: WANTED: Thinkpad WHEW BIOS FL or HP Update Files

EXACTLY same situation!!! update successful and then, black screen. contacting lenovo, and they are just short of refusing to know that w510 exists (call center in central Europe) laptop is in UK (Chunck Norris is walker)

I bought it in US was repiaired  several times then replaced  and now this update. but in my case it was old image that had System Update with exe BIOS update ver. that bricked it ... So how come consumer is responsible for Manufacturers errors? Lenovo Goods Are not Fit for purpose and are not of satisfactory quality?

what i can do now? buy bios chicp and solder it? that is why I buy lenovo products? maybe they should start selling BIOS chips themselves and solder kits? not happy customer of lenovo at all!

2 w510 laptops and heaps of problems are their models such as W520 and W530 have smae problems. I am loosing my belif in thinkpads.

What's DOS?
lukaszopo

Could someone give me link/private message with full bios to lenovo W510? I was flashing, and now laptop is dead. Lenovo official vebside provides only update. I also read bios external programmer if someone could repair my flash, i can send it (2 SPROM: 25F512 and 25l64). Thanks a lot.