Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
imesh_l

Where do I purchase W510 recovery media?

[ Edited ]

I had a few issues with the motherboard of my W510 and the system was constantly crashing and the service depot replaced the motherboard.

Before the replacement motherboard arrived they said that thay temporarily fixed the issue by switching the RAM from the DIMM slots form one side of the motherboard to the other.

So thinking that the problem was fixed I tried to run a full factory restore since the constant reboots due to the crashing the windows system files were damaged and didn't start up.

Apparently the temporary fix didn't work and the system crashed in the middle of the restore. Now after the replacement motherboard arrived they tried to restore the system again, but it didn't work, maybe because of the crash in the middle of the first restore.

They don't have the recovery media for the W510 since they don't distribute the model it in Sri Lanka.

When I call the support line they direct me to another business partner and they say that they do not have the media either.

So where can I purchase the recovery media from?

BTW I have a three year limited warranty, and the motherboard was apparently DOA.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: Where do I purchase W510 recovery media?

These media are distributed by Lenovo service. If is your machine a grey import? you should ask the person whom sold you the machine to get a copy for you from overseas.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
imesh_l

If a grey import mean if I purchased it abroad, yes I did. But I bought it online brand new from a seller on ebay so I dont think I will be able to ask them to get it for me.

Also another problem popped up, after the motherboard was replaced the techs updated the bios and now a message shows up at startup saying the model number is invalid and they have no idea how to fix it and as a result system update wont work. Trying to change the model number by using the BIOS update software also doesn't work.

Lenovo really needs to redfine what they mean by 'international warranty'

lead_org

whom are you servicing the laptop through? the official depot should have the software diskette for which to update the new motherboard's serial and model no.

Also, what is the type/model no. of your laptop? xxxx-xxx?

Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
imesh_l

I am getting it serviced through one of Lenovo's business partners in Sri Lanka called Sumathi Information Technologies.

The model number is 4319-2PU

lead_org

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/warrantyLookup.do?type=4319&iws=on&sitestyle=lenovo

according to your international warranty list, you are eligible for the full coverage in Sri Lanka, in which case the local Lenovo service and their affiliated partners, must provide you with the recovery media, whether free or at standard service rate (around 50 USD).

So speak to your local Lenovo support and ask them to source these disks for you. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
imesh_l

I called the customer service number and they direct me to another business partner. That is where I got the laptop repaired. They say that they are unable to order the media. They also said that they still haven't even received the pricing for some recovery discs that they asked for and they make their own recovery discs from the systems they support locally since Lenovo takes to long to respond.