Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Chatbox

Who should I talk to about IBMPMSVC Windows Service?

I would like to get additional information regarding the implementation and behaviour of IBMPMSVC on the W520, more specifically, about the LCD panel switching off and staying on during and after colour calibration.

How do I get in touch with the developers of this IBMPMSVC.exe (part of the Power Management driver package)?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Who should I talk to about IBMPMSVC Windows Service?

Hello Chatbox,

The software is designed and developed by the research and software team.

You can let us know the community about your exact question as someone can answer.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Token Ring
Chatbox

Question is this:

During colour calibration via the Pantone software, it would make a call to XRCalibrationLidTurnOffNotification() in XRLaptopIFSDK.dll.  This then in turn triggered something in IBMPMSVC.exe (the windows service) to create a thread that has a timer, of around 5 minutes (310 seconds or so).  This thread seems to work under the assumption that the calibration "should" be completed within that time, and therefore would resume the lid close ACPI action (i.e. If the lid is currently closed, and 5 minutes has past since XRCalibrationLidTurnOffNotification() was called, then IBMPMSVC would switch off the LCD panel).

Is there anyway that I can extend this time to something longer...like 30 minutes?

I'm using dispcal (from Argyll CMS) together with dispcalGUI, and a calibration with an extensive testchart file would take around twenty odd minutes to complete.  The only way I can stop the LCD from being switch off by IBMPMSVC is to suspend or kill the IBMPMSVC.EXE process (or suspend the newly created thread) after XRCalibrationLidTurnOffNotification() is called.  This would then allow the calibration to complete with the LCD remain switched on for the duration of the calibration.

However, killing off the process is not exactly desireable.

So, I'm thinking, how can I extend this 5 minutes period?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hello Chatbox,

I do not think we can increase this time as it is internal integrated process.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Token Ring
Chatbox

Sure we can.  If it can be set, it can be changed.  Just not from Lenovo officially.

Any one fancy doing some disassembling?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Probably a script to suspend the service at 4minutes would be a quickest workaround.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Token Ring
Chatbox

Yeah, thought about that....but it's somewhat "intrusive" to the rest of the IBMPMSVC behaviour / functionality.  Also, the process/script will require privilege escalation.  While it's only a prompt and click Yes, that, IMO, is a poor user experience.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Maybe I'm missing something but you're using the color sensor on the palmrest to do all of this?  Even if you get the process to run 20-30 minutes, is it really going to work given the small portion of the LCD it is looking at?

Token Ring
Chatbox

You're right, from a full on calibration perspective, the built-in sensor is rather limited.

Probably better with an external one.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Chatbox, my understanding is that the speed of the process depends on the colorimeter hardware itself. I don't know about the W520, but on the W700, the whole built-in process with that same colorimeter (presumably with slightly different filters for a CCFL backlight) takes about a minute and the results are spectacularly good, for a supposedly 72% AdobeRGB display.

This thread indicates that the amount of time your program takes is user-settable, and that longer times don't necessarily produce better results. So you might test different durations, and see whether the longer times really provide better results. You may find that a much faster time is just as good.