Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
nicolas_sun

Re: Will not wake up from sleep

[ Edited ]

Got the laptop back.

What AUS repair has done was only a HDD reset WITHOUT a graphic driver installed (then "Sleep" is in grey.. don't know what they were thinking)...... the issue is still there.

Fortunately, I've found the problem by myself.

Enter BIOS, "Security"->"Securiy chips", then change from "INACTIVE" to "ACTIVE", then it wakes up.

Message Edited by nicolas_sun on 10-12-2008 07:56 PM
Punch Card
chibislick

Let me get this straight, they did a format (by HDD reset I guess you meant format?) of the hard drive and reinstalled windows without graphics drivers? Isn't this what you (and I, for that matter) did like 10 times before sending it back to the repair center? Didn't they see that is still wasn't working?

I'm puzzled.

About the BIOS security feature "fix", I was so sure there wasn't any link with the sleep problem I didn't even try to switch it to "active". Besides, the TPM (trusted platform module) security isn't something I'd be using.

It's interresting though, I'll call my local store (they're a Warranty Service Provider store, and they have a good reputation around here) and have them test it. If it does fix it I guess it won't hurt to keep it turned on.

I'll update this thread when I have feedbacks, 

thanks a lot :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
nicolas_sun

"Format/Load HDD" is ticked on their "Service Activity Report", then the machine when I turned on after got it back had no graphic card driver installed.

You're right, we did it for 10 times or more, but that was what they did on my laptop.

Anyway, I am now pretty sure it is something with BIOS setting. If I change it back to INACTIVE, won't wake up from sleep with same symptom before.

Blue Screen Again
frensel

some people's X200 and T400 have this problems, they send their machines to warranty, the reply is that the problems stem from the power module of the motherboard.

Punch Card
chibislick

I called my repair shop this morning and yes, the BIOS setting did "fix" the problem (he was as surprised as I was).

They'll make sure though that the problem isn't a more serious one, as Frensel noted, and call Lenovo to have confirmation they don't have to change something inside (ie. the motherboard).

Will update this tomorrow.

Blue Screen Again
frensel

Punch Card
chibislick

[ Edited ]

Thanks Frensel, btw.

Well I got my laptop back. They (local computer shop, they are Lenovo's warranty service providers) didn't do anything.I should have kept my mouth shut (not telling them about the BIOS "fix" ) and let them change my motherboard(as were about to do before I let them know about this "fix" ).

It's fine if sleep mode works well, but I'm affraid my video card problems (video card crashing and giving me the message "your video card drivers have recovered, etc.", and sometimes bluescreens (two in a week) because of this) will still be there.

Man.. Is this the ever most disapointing purchase of a laptop.

I'm about to return this W500.

Message Edited by chibislick on 10-14-2008 09:25 AM
Fanfold Paper
GXCross

Thanks!!  Changing the BIOS setting fixed the problem for me.  Was getting frustrated that my brand new T400 would not wake from sleep.
Serial Port
ZPrime

[ Edited ]

chibislick wrote:

It says S1 is not supported. This is not normal.

Yes it is.  Notebooks typically use S3 for sleep, which powers down all fans, etc.  S1 sleep is "power-on-suspend," which leaves all fans running and most peripheral cards are still on as well.  This is like the old days in desktop land with APM - machines "stayed on" but were "Asleep" inasmuch as they used less power in this state and the CPU was completely halted.

Have you tried the latest BIOS?  My machine shipped with 1.13 but 1.15 is out.  Sleep-related issues are often fixed by BIOS updates...

Message Edited by ZPrime on 10-20-2008 03:41 PM
Paper Tape
phthompson

I'm having the same problem with a brand new t400; the computer goes to sleep and will not wake from sleep without rebooting. So unbelievably frustrating.

Could you explain how you went about the BIOS fix? 

Thanks