Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ehursey

Re: Wireless Problem on W500

Just update you all with a little more information and findings.

I receivied my new laptop and after installing all my software I was still seeing the exact same issues as my previous laptop (issues with wireless networking, Verizon wireless and shutdown/suspend issues).

I finally tracked down the majority of my problems to two Virtual machine applications that I was using.  Without VmWare Workstation 6.5 and Virtual Box 2.0 installed the majority of my issues went away.  So I have upgraded to the lastest power management and access connections from the Lenovo site and uninstalled VmWare and Virtual Box.  Now the majority of my issues have gone away. 

I do still have the issue that when I first return from a suspend the wireless connection automatically connects but then stops working a few minutes later.  I manually disconnect and then reconnect and the connection stays active from then on.

So my best guess is that Access Connections and  Power Manager do not work correctly with the network, display and usb drivers that the virtual environments install.  I havn't tried completely removing Access Connections and Power Manager to see if everything works correctly with VmWare and VirtualBox.

Punch Card
Manuel_A

You will have to Uninstall the power manager.

to uninstall the power manager, you will have to be in safe mode in order to

Uninstall the power manager.

All you need is the power manager Driver.

hope this helps you :smileyhappy:

Lenovo W701 | WUXGA RGB-LED-BL | Intel i7-920XM | Nvidia FX 3800M | 16GB RAM @ 1333MHz | Intel X25-M 160GB MLC G2 | 500GB @ 7200RPM | Compact Flash (PCIe) + Express Card(34mm) | BlueTooth W/ Antenna |Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3) |
Fanfold Paper
fieldhb

Hello, I am having a problem also, but a little different then yours.

I have a new lenovo laptop W500.

Adapter is: Intel wifi link 5100 agn wireless

Operating system is Vista Business 64 bit

Router is: Linksys WRT54G

WEP( I know I should go WPA)

Mac filtering ( I have the correct mac adress in there)

I am using the windows wireless Network connection to Connect.

I have 2 laptops and a workstation that all connect wirelessly with no problem.

All 3 are running Windows XP Pro.

But with this new laptop, everytime I boot-up, I have to go into the Wireless Network Connection Properties and change a setting to get internet connection.

For Instance, I may disable IPv6, or enable it again if the last time I connected I disabled it.

Other settings work also, like qos packet scheduler, disabling or re-enabling it.

Within a few seconds of hitting the ok button after I make a change to a setting, I am connected through my router to the internet.

Any suggestions ?

Fanfold Paper
fieldhb

Well, after the above post, I let my laptop sleep and when it came out of "hibernation" or sleep, whatever you want to call it, it says it was connected to local and internet, but several tries with my browser resulted in no web pages being returned.

So I tried "diagnose and repair" and it found no problems with my connection.

Tried releasing and renewing my ip address, but it said the network device was not running or something like that.

So I disconnected and reconnected to my home connection, and that worked.

So here is another issue with my expensive new laptop.

It sounds like what the other posters were referring to when they said it seemed only certain network layers were working.

This sounds like a problem with the Intel adapter. When I look for updates to the driver, it says that it has the latest drivers.

It seems to me that this is a problem that many users are facing, why wouldn't Lenovo troubleshoot and provide some help with this?

Fanfold Paper
fieldhb

ehursey wrote:

Just update you all with a little more information and findings.

I receivied my new laptop and after installing all my software I was still seeing the exact same issues as my previous laptop (issues with wireless networking, Verizon wireless and shutdown/suspend issues).

I finally tracked down the majority of my problems to two Virtual machine applications that I was using.  Without VmWare Workstation 6.5 and Virtual Box 2.0 installed the majority of my issues went away.  So I have upgraded to the lastest power management and access connections from the Lenovo site and uninstalled VmWare and Virtual Box.  Now the majority of my issues have gone away. 

I do still have the issue that when I first return from a suspend the wireless connection automatically connects but then stops working a few minutes later.  I manually disconnect and then reconnect and the connection stays active from then on.

So my best guess is that Access Connections and  Power Manager do not work correctly with the network, display and usb drivers that the virtual environments install.  I havn't tried completely removing Access Connections and Power Manager to see if everything works correctly with VmWare and VirtualBox.

One of the reasons I got Vista 64 bit was to run vmware or virtual pc software.

I am hoping that when i go to install the software, that will not be another problem I will have to face.

SCSI Port
MastahRiz

I've used VMware since day 1 that I got my W500 and it works perfectly. Vista 64 Ultimate
Rizwan A. Alvi
http://rizwanalvi.com
Fanfold Paper
fieldhb

That is good to hear.

So you do not have any of the wireless connection problems that myself and others are experiencing ?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Frankw

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your listing the wireless problems that you had too.   The tech guys told me it was an isolated case - which obviously it isn't.

To ndammerm: I did get my laptop replaced - although no refund - but I guess i just wanted to try a Lenovo, I bought my first IBM 5 years ago, and had been using them until now so I didn't really want to stop before giving Lenovo a try.   I just told the warranty guy(IBM) that it is a hardware problem as everything they told me to do didn't work and I can't be expected to give up a brand new laptop for a week for them to reinstall stuff.  I hope you resolve your case amicably.  

The current machine that I have - a new W500 (replaced twice) - seems to work well (no sudden freeze ups and no wireless connection drops) so I think it is just a batch of W500 that is severely flawed.  

Hope you guys get a new machine as I definitely think it was broken when it came out of the factory !

Regards,

Frank 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Frankw

I have been reading about Lenovo customer service and apparantly David Churbuck, who is currently Vice President of Global Web Marketing, when contacted with a problem, is extremely fast in solving issues.  

What we can do is send one letter from all of us that are having problems (signed by all of us) and then emailing it mailing it to him.

Let me know if you guys have interest in doing this because I think Lenovo should take responsibility of their faulty machines.  

my email is frank.wang@gmail.com if you need to email me or anything.

Thanks !

-Frank 

Fanfold Paper
fieldhb

Thanks Frank, I may take you up on that.

An update, After booting up again and my laptop not finding the internet though my access point, only local connection, I decided to give access connections a try again.

I initially abandonded AC when working with my first call to tech support, up on their recommendation.

I also left qos packet filtering and ipv6 unchecked.

As soon as I made aprofile for my home access point, it connected.

I did not remove the connection in the windows  wireless connection. So I have a "profile" in both.

The real test would be to boot up again and see if it connects.

This time, it connected immediately on boot-up.

So time will tell if this will stay working or not.

I am posting here to document what I have tried and the results of those attempts to try and help others that have the same problems. 

I know when I found this posting, I was relevied that I was not the only one with these problems.