Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
Pepe

drivers for Lenovo W700 supporting a 2 button pen

For those of you out there in need for a 2 button configuration option while working with the W700 (the Cintiq 18SX pen is compatible with the W700 tablet), there's finally a solution. Lenovo asked Wacom not to give this option to the costumers (go figure...) and I got tired of waiting for Lenovo to release an oficial driver that supports 2 button configuration (this I'm afraid will never happen) so here you have it. Just mind you there isn't any nice user interface but it works. I only tested this under Vista x64 but I'm sure it will work fine on 32 bit OS and XP.

1. Install the oficial Lenovo W700 tablet driver 5.0.8-8 from HERE.

2. Download and run the altered driver from HERE (this will install on top of the previous one)

3. Run the Pen Tablet Preference File Utility, and delete all preferences.

4. Open the control panel and change something, then close the control panel. This will force your preference file to be rewritten.

5. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\[Your Windows login]\AppData\Roaming\WTablet

5a. If you don't see an AppData folder, that's because it's hidden. Go to "Tools -> Folder Options" (at the top of any Windows Explorer window), select the "View" tab, and set "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

6. Open "Pen_Tablet.dat" in Notepad.

7. Scroll down or search for "barrel2"

8. Just above that you should see "ButtonFunction [a number]". The number is what you need to change. There are a ton of potential values, but I think the ones you might want are:

Nothing - 0

Left Click - 1

Middle Click - 2

Right Click - 3

Double Click - 4

Click Lock - 7

9. Save the file.

10. Restart.

Done! You can continue to use the control panel as normal, but you'll need to do steps 5-10 to change the second switch. Hope that helps. Now you can finally start using the W700 as it was supposed to. Good luck!!

Paper Tape
tasoudis

Re: drivers for Lenovo W700 supporting a 2 button pen

Hi pepe,

I am going to buy now a w700 for cad applications mostly.

I have never worked with a tablet before though.If the pen that lenovo provides is not

going to help me with cad (pro-engineer , rhino, 3dsmax) and I have to buy an other , is the Cintiq 18 SX the only

choice I have?

thnx

SCSI Port
Pepe

Hi tasoudis! Sorry for the late reply. I never used the applications you mentioned except for 3dsMax but if you need 3 buttons on your mouse, then the pen that comes with the W700 won't work because it only has one side button (it works as a 2 button mouse -> tip of the pen as left click and side button as right click) and to tell you the truth it feels like **bleep**. The Cintiq 18SX is the nicest but you have more compatible options here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?p=82488 and some more info here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=6992 as for the drivers they mention on those forums, don't intall them. The only way to get 2 side buttom support on the W700 is with the drivers and work around I posted on the first message. Good luck!

Punch Card
Pavarotti

Thanks for posting this information.  Could you please give some details on how you created the customized driver - it may help those of us who need to get this functionality working on other Windows releases.  Thanks.

SCSI Port
Pepe

Sorry Pavarotti but I did not created the customized driver... just got lucky and got it somewhere ;D I only try this under Vista x64 Ultra but will get Windows 7 soon to see if still works (sure it does, though). If anyone tries the driver under other OS besides Vista, let me know if it works for you. Thanks!

What's DOS?
Nyrup

Hey Pepe,

Thanks for your explanation! I work with a normal Wacom (when in the dockingstation) and used the build-in tablet on the road. When the "normal" wacom is connected I have the possibility to change the portion of the tablet I want to use. That option seems to be missinng using the buildin tablet??!?

Have you come across any hack to transfer this "portion" information the the configuration file for the build-in tablet?

Regards

Nyrup

SCSI Port
Pepe

Hi Nyrup!

Sorry but I have the same problem. My tablet is a little off on the left side and I have to move the pen outside the edge to reach that area... hope Lenovo makes things right for the upcoming W701 and we can use those drivers instead but I doubt it.

You can always try to contact Wacom. Some of their developers are quite nice. Remember, the only reason why the W700 does not support 2 button pens is because Lenovo didn't want to!! Way to go Lenovo!

SCSI Port
Pepe

[ Edited ]

Good news as the newest driver for the W700's wacom under Windows 7 x64 let's you configure your 2 button pen in a much easier way than before. Just follow the above list from point 5. That's it!

Time to dump Vista forever :smileyvery-happy: