Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
w520user999
Accepted Solution

mSATA SSD problem

OK this is driving me crazy.  I am trying to get a Renice X3 120 GB SSD in the mSATA port running.  I am not sure if this is a SSD or BIOS problem.  I would appreciate any help if you can.  Here are the issues:

1. The mSATA drive is recognized in BIOS very erratically.  This seems to be unpredictable.  Most times BIOS appears to hang.  The Fixed Disk is either recognized as "Renice X3" or at other times, "SandForce".  Other times- not at all.

2.  Resetting the CMOS and having my internal drive installed (Intel 2nd generation SSD, 160 GB) with the mSATA SSD installed as well appears to allow the system to get past BIOS and boot without much of a delay, but this is variable. 

3. Having a USB key  in place (yellow slot)  in situation 2 above prevents the BIOS from completing it's process, and it appears to hang.

4. Removing the CD-ROM makes no difference.  UEFI does not appear to work in situation 2, above.  Legacy does.  ACHI and Compatibility mode both work in situaton 2.

Passwords were removed in BIOS.   This is a 2820QM with 16G RAM.

Any help would be great before I give up and RMA the drive.

W520: UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM
Broadband 3G
JDay

Re: mSATA SSD problem

[ Edited ]

If you can get the system to recognize the drive long enough to update the drives firmware I would do that, make sure you have the latest BIOS on your system too. Renice released a firmware update for the X3 series just last Sunday. If it still doesn't work after that I would RMA it.

http://www.renice-tech.com/service.asp?classid=122

EDIT: If possible put it in a Windows 7 desktop machine to do the update.

Token Ring
w520user999

Thanks for this suggestion.  The drive did stay stable long enough to update the firmware.  The new firmware helped with the boot issue in the W520 however, when in Windows it quickly became apparent that the SSD was unstable.  It would promptly fail and lock up with any usage (formatting, copying files, disk check, etc.).  Your suggestion helped me confirm this was definitely a SSD problem.  Now to decide to replace with another Renice or go with Intel. 

Broadband 3G
JDay

Never do a full format on an SSD, you want to do a quick format. If you need to wipe the entire drive do a secure erase. Full formatting degrades SSDs quickly.

Token Ring
w520user999

SSD failed on a quick format then disappeared from device manager.  Once it booted to windows it was very apparent that the drive would work for a few moments and fail.  Removing the drive from the port, resetting the CMOS and rebooting was the only way to reset it. 

I do appreciate the firmware update suggestion though, it got me to the point I could test it further to see what was going on.

What's DOS?
kalvinkan

I have a renice x3 120G in my e420s and it freezes 10-20 seconds every several minutes. after a few days of fiddling around i gave up. I now use the crucial m4 2.5" and it works fine. I thinks Lenovo and renice are not compatible.
What's DOS?
kalvinkan

I changed from AHCI to Compatibilty(ide)mode in the Bios and it works perfectly now. No freezing what so ever. But that means I will be limitted to max 150MB/s sequential verse 250? A word of advice. dont buy renice or ocz or any other sandfource drive cuz most of them have the freezing, stutter problem.

Token Ring
w520user999

I RMA'd the Renice mSATA as there were clear problems with any sustained write action.  If its replaced, can I expect it only to work in Compatibility mode?  Do you have a good link to the Sandforce issues- I'm finding lots of noise and no signal in my searches. Thanks