Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
don820

Re: periodic freezes

In my case (which sounds exactly as you describe), it most definitely was not a software problem -- it was a hardware problem.

You should really contact lenovo, open a support ticket ASAP and start working through their process so that they can get to this conclusion as quickly as possible (there are a few hoops of trying things first).

What proved it was a hardware issue for me was that I created boot disks for other operating systems (linux, and memtest), and the computer would freeze in those environments as well.

Like you, I spent a month hoping it was a bios/diver/manager issue -- but it was a faulty system board.

For what it's worth, the replacement systemboard does not freeze!  However, the SD card slot of broken and I have a dead USB port.  Seem there are some quality control issues with this model.

Punch Card
twu2

I also have randomly freeze issue in my W510, it could be 1-5 times per day, but sometimes, no any freeze for 3-5 days.
I send it back to Lenovo service center 3 weeks ago, they test it for 4 days, no any freeze during the test...
but they still change the motherboard for me... after change motherboard, already 2 weeks, no more freeze in my W510.

I think there's some problem in W510's motherboard (maybe some batch...)
Token Ring
don820

I would definitely agree - there is some problem in the production somewhere for some batch... Look at the recent news for Dell, they had their OptiPlex line where 97% of the systems failed in the first year. It was because they had a bad batch of capacitors.
Paper Tape
lionyling

i think that's due to the seagate hard drive firmware failure, obviously most w510 (mine too) are equipped with seagate 7200 rpm hds, Dell has deployed updates for this issue but Lenovo seems hasn't replied to this issue.
Punch Card
twu2

It's not seagate hdd issue. Because my disk is HGST 7k500...
It's motherboard problem, after Lenovo replace my motherboard (3 months ago), I never get any freeze like before.
Punch Card
ngthu

[ Edited ]

After upgrade to the latest software, bios, and others updates. My w510 computer has a periodically freeze issue. Regardless if I'm surfing the web or using other software. I know its' not the software issue since I used this prior to update the bios and other update through Thinkvantage Toolbox.

Is there any suggestion regards to this issue?

ps. this is my second system board replacement.

Token Ring
don820

I've had 3 -- you have to keep trying until you get one that works.  I've now been running mine for several months without a failure, so there are some working system boards out there.  You just need to keep on them.

Punch Card
ngthu

@ don820

I'm wondering if the bios cause the probelm or the main board itself. Do you use the latest update bios version with the current working main board?

Token Ring
don820

I always install and run bios and driver updates as they are made available.
Punch Card
ngthu

@don820 So you have no problem with updating the bios ? and the system is still running fine?