Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
big_coder

w500 fingerprint reader prolem

Hello there.

i have a thinkpad w500 product id :  406227

i was erase internal fingerprint data  from  bios setup and maybe change some security settings of the fingerprint and security in the bios setup.

after that  user login page of win xp  show me this message : "fingerprint system not available"

I logged in by entering my password and then open lenovo fingerprint software when i click on a button to start enrollment it shows me this error message :  "cannot communicate with sensor. please confirm the sensor is ready."

please help.

Lenovo Technology Partner
crisdean

Re: w500 fingerprint reader prolem

Phone the Lenovo support and tell them what you wrote here. You need to log a call against your machine. The guys should be happy to talk you through a procedure.

Regards

Paper Tape
big_coder

Re: w500 fingerprint reader prolem

: please help me for this decision
Blue Screen Again
ausmike

Re: w500 fingerprint reader problem

Dear Big Coder...

Having had number (on 12th thinkpad currently) of Different THINKPAD';s ( t20  to w700Series) I have had 'numerous' issues over the years with "thinkvantage fingerprint' software and its previous nemesis!! .... and yes TECH SUPPORT ( atleast in USA ) are less than helpful!!

So here are a few simple steps that will LEAD YOU to success::

1) Boot laptop and press F1 and log into BIOS.....

2) Update or simply = reset bios to FACTORY DEFAULT option.  

3) Boot with all 'super user' password (Windows = Admin) and make sure Thinkvantage fingerprint software is the "latest version for your model& OS.

4) DELETE all fingerprint on file and reboot - must do the reboot first!!) however BEFORE reboot, 'check' open fingerprint at windows login (some models have this option in SETTINGS) 

5) relog in with 'superuser' or windows Admin  ( as before )

6) At windows reboot , you will see Thinkvantage software open already!

7) Add the BIOMETRIC date by scanning your fingers as per your choice of fingers.

8) When saved all fingers u have chosen ( suggest use one each from both hands!!

9) click on SETTINGS , and make sure you CHECK the following options:

a)user fingerprint instead of windows

b)windows password recover

c) always show power on security options

d)use fingerprint scans instead of instead of power-on and harddrive passwords

e) enable single signon capabilities ( handy if u want to only swipe your fingers at ONE TIME and laptop will boot up all the way to your desktop!)

10) save and reboot

11) at reboot, Press F1 , and add/change password ( remember to turn on FINGERPRINT in BIOS !!)

12) tips and suggestions:: 

a) add in POWER ON passwords = has to be same as windows user

b)SUPERVISOR passwords = match windows Adman

c)Hard drive has to match the security levels desired for corresponding user(s)

d) do not loose or mistype supervisor or HARD DRIVE password ,,,,,,, as there is no way to recover those !! thus making your laptop useless until REINSTALL of OS ! and or new system board from Lenovo!

>

>

> Hope this helps someone , as it took me a lucky meeting with IBM JAPAN Thinkvantage software writer on a Plane Flight ..... and he couldn't run away , and he EXPLAINED how and what the 'fingerprint software worked and what its shortcomings where!!................... now only if I can meet the Vista FireGL driver writer ,,,,,,,,,,, and kiss his ass to add the AUDIO and HD Video that was taken out from 'standard' drivers of ATI HARDWARE !!!..... But then its a Dream !!

Happy thinkpadding :smileytongue:

Mike 

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
Paper Tape
big_coder

my problem is not solved:mansad:

Blue Screen Again
ausmike