Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
don820

w510 Screen Separation?

I almost can't believe this, but yet an entirely new class of problem on my w510...

The front plastic moulding on the top corners (both left, and right) is starting to separate away from the main screen case.  The separation is wide enough that I can actually see light through the gaps.  For the life of me I can't believe there isn't some sort of adhesive or screws there to keep it together.

I can only assume this will be an entry point fo dust, etc.

Can people reading this with w510's take a look at theirs and see if they too have any separation, maybe run a finger nail there and see if it feels "loose" at all?

FWIW, I have the 1680x900 (HD+) version.

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

Re: w510 Screen Separation?

Mine seems fine right now.

Punch Card
tdegroot

Mine is ok to, I have the HD+ also.

Token Ring
don820

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be an adhesive or screws or something?  Basically, the plastic facing the front is starting to warp/curl, and separating from the back -- creating a 0.5-1mm gap.  And I can peer down there and see lots of light, so I can only assume it's going to turn to dustville soon enough.  :smileysad:

Token Ring
don820

I've posted a picture of the problem:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ye4OrZzM78K0Dgh0Clvcu4rT8g7GRHFSwaZ-EbeXEok?feat=directlink

It goes the whole width of the laptop, not just the middle.  Checked in a friends w500 and his is tight.

Do people agree this is a real problem?

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Don820, go to http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/ , select the W510, click on Videos, look under FRU Removals/Replacements, click on LCD Bezel, and click-on/watch the Replace LCD Bezel video. Some of the other videos may apply as well.

According to the video, there are some bezel retaining screws at the bottom of the display, and the upper part just snaps in. So, presumably, either it was not snapped in properly at the top, or the parts that do the "snapping in" are broken (perhaps from prior disassembly/reassembly of the laptop).

Good luck!

Token Ring
don820

Thanks -- FWIW, I called lenovo and they are sending someone out to "replace the bezel" tomorrow.

Will post how it goes.

Token Ring
don820

Tech came and replaced the part -- but was missing the stickers on the bottom and they didn't transfer well, so need to wait for those to come in (those LED's are blinding without their sheiths).

Fixes the problem for now, but frankly this is a really bad design.  It's easy to see that it will be trivial for dust to get in there even with this new case, not sure what the designers were thinking with this one...

802.11n
Jimbo

don820 wrote:

it will be trivial for dust to get in there

Why's that? Presumably, the gap should be closed once the bezel is replaced, unless the display housing is also damaged.

Token Ring
don820

The bezel is replaced, but there is still faint gaps along the perimeter. The display housing looks fine to me - it's just the bezel is a large piece of fairly cheap plastic, no way it's going to hold perfect shape indefinitely -- there should be some adhesive or a more snaps along the top.