Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
dimdim

w520 crack

[ Edited ]

Before two weeks ago I saw a crack on the left side of the keyboard bezel palmrest of my three months old thinkpad w520.

Link to picture

I use it on a desktop and when I have to go out with it I use a well padded laptop bag, so I'm pretty sure I haven't hit it at all. Unfortunately today I noticed a small plastic bit on the desktop near to it and then I realized that the crack has become a small hole.

Link to picture

Could you suggest me what is the best I can do in case I can't afford to send it for repair because I really strongly need it every day of the week.

Thanks in advance!

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Punch Card
SonicSam

Re: w520 crack

Beyond sending it in, I'm not sure what Lenovo can directly do, however if I was you. I'd read the disassembly guide, take apart the top part of the keyboard bezel, and superglue that thing tight (from the inside).

Punch Card
td44

Perhaps if you can find the part number you could order a replacement palm rest from Lenovo and do the repair yourself.

Fanfold Paper
jasonsepe

[ Edited ]

I also had a crack in a similar location to yours on my 2 month old W520. I think it was from the band on my watch although I have a ~5 year old Lenovo R61i ThinkPad that I always have used with my watch on and never had a problem. (In fact, I now have a hairline crack near the lower right screw on my screen bezel.) I ended up having to pay for a new palmrest which includes the finger print reader at a cost of somewhere near $100.00. I called and spoke to support but it seemed that they were all to eager to just say "Sorry it's damaged we don't cover it, would you like to purchase a new part." Bad support in my opinion for a flagship product.

W520 4270CT with 16GB of RAM | R61i 7732A12 with 4GB of RAM
What's DOS?
elez

The palmrest of my W520 now has exactly the same hole as yours, in exactly the same spot... It started as a crack and a few days ago I found a small chip on my desk. The crack keeps expanding ever since.

It is still under warranty, though not for long (I bought it in November 2011). I surely didn't bump it anywhere and have always carried it in a notebook backpack.

What did you do with yours eventually? Is it eligible for a replacement by lenovo service? Thanks in advance

Serial Port
rc87

[ Edited ]

same identical crack on my w520. Just the crack for now, no hole.

I guess it appeared after 1-1.5 years of ownership.

Plenty of other w520 users with same crack! (there should be other threads about this)

Mine never dropped, rarely moved from desk, i wear no watch, so it surely a design fault!

Should send it next month for other defects ( :smileysad: ), will ask about this.

Just curious if someone asked Lenovo about this flaw.

________________________________________________________________________________
W520 on win8.1/linux | X220 | and some older stuff 760 onwards :smileyhappy:
What's DOS?
yankeosu

Re: W520 cracked corner bezel

I have the a same issue, but for me a small piece of the corner broke off. Does anyone know if this is covered under our warranty at all?