Click ►
Started ‎07-01-2010 by
Modified ‎05-26-2013 by
(71,758 Views)

How can I increase battery life? - ThinkPad

Question

How can I increase battery life? 

Answer

A ThinkPad battery can be set up for maximum runtime (hours), or for maximum lifespan before it must be replaced (years). The choice is yours, but with today's battery technologies, you can't have both at the same time.

Whichever optimization you choose, the limitations of today's batteries technologies also mean that they are consumables, i.e. your ThinkPad will last longer than its battery!

Optimizing for runtime (hours)

The normal default Lenovo Power Manager Battery Maintenance setting keeps your battery fully charged.  It starts charging when the battery drops below 96%, and stops at 100%. Runtime on battery then depends on the Power Plan settings you choose.

There are several predefined Power Plans which you can tweak to your needs, or you can create your own. For the best runtimes, start with the Maximum Battery Life Power Plan.

Optimizing for lifespan (years)

The main enemies of battery longevity are age, the number of charge cycles, amount of time at full charge, and high temperature.

For maximum lifespan if you rarely use the battery, set Custom charge thresholds to start charging at 40% capacity and stop at 50%, and keep the ThinkPad cool. The thresholds can be adjusted in the Battery Maintenance settings of the Lenovo Power Manager.

If you do use your battery somewhat frequently, set the start threshold at say 85% and stop at 90%. This will still give a good lifespan benefit over keeping it charged to 100%.

The simplest way to optimize for battery lifespan is to select Automatic in the Power Manager Battery Maintenance settings, and let it manage your battery charge thresholds for you.

See also

"Why did my battery lose capacity?"

"Why did my battery die?"

"Should I run with my battery in or out?"

Sources

Lenovo ThinkVantage Power Manager Help

See Related Links (to right).

Comments
by wlie on ‎01-08-2014 01:00 AM

Dear All,

I am the happy owner of a new ThinkPad S1 Yoga and my problem is exactly the opposite than many I read about here. I use the power plan but have no option to change it to maximun run time. When charging it never charges more then 50%. When I travel I would like the battery runtime maximum. I think the power plan is great but I would like to option to charge it completely. Did I overlook something? Thanks for your feedback. William

by py2126 on ‎07-04-2014 03:13 AM

Hi,

I am using Lenovo G500 from last 10months. I started troubleshoot with battery and it is not even charging properly.

I reseted it to maximum life and reseted my battery also.

Even it is not working properly.

When i visited service center, there about 2hrs it doesn't work and they are not ready to replace battery.

This is **bleep**ing problems faced with lenovo.

Don't take lenovo products