Click ►
Started ‎07-01-2010 by
Modified ‎07-07-2010 by
(4,139 Views)

Why did my battery die?

Question

Why did my battery die?

Answer

According to The Battery University, lithium-ion batteries typically have a lifespan of 2-3 years or 300-500 cycles, but may last as little as 12-18 months .

The main enemies of battery longevity are age, the number of charge cycles, amount of time at full charge, and high temperature. If used only on main power,  fully charged, in a hot environment, longevity is reduced.

For tips on how to increase battery lifespan, see "How can I increase battery life?".

If the battery status indicator appears to be incorrect, it is recommended that you perform a reset.  To reset the battery gauge in the Power Manager, click on Battery Maintenance then Perform Reset. This will require you to let your battery run completely down, and then to recharge it fully.

Should your battery appear to indicate the incorrect status after a reset, and you believe there may be a problem with it, contact Lenovo support. Note that the standard battery warranty is one year.

Yes but why did my battery SUDDENLY die?

The lithium-ion battery packs used in ThinkPads are intelligent batteries. They contain a microprocessor to monitor the state of battery. Information about remaining battery capacity is passed to the system from the battery pack. If the power management system determines that the battery can no longer supply reliable or safe power, it will indicate that the battery needs replacement.

See also

"How can I increase battery life?"

"Why did my battery lose capacity?"

"Should I run with my battery in or out?"

Sources

Battery University.

Lenovo support site.

Comments
by SKYLARKTHOZHIYO on ‎12-27-2013 11:30 PM

MY S 820 , NOT CHARGING ABOVE 15% , IT ALSO TAKES LONG TIME TO GET THIS %.

CAN SOME ONE HELP ON THIS ISSUE..

TKS N RGS

ABOOBACKER

Contributors