Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

[ Edited ]
 Machine type models and specifications
Q: Where can I find listings of current and withdrawn system machine type models and specifications?
A: They are available for download here:

Warranty
Q: How can I check the warranty status of my machine?  I want to confirm whether it is still in warranty, and whatwarranty upgrades may be in effect - onsite, Thinkpad protection, etc.
A: Follow this link , and input your Machine Type and Serial number, found on the bottom or back of your system - > http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/warranty-status/default.page?

Contact support
Q: How do I contact support?
A: Go to http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/ and choose appropriate option from the "Quick Links". For support contact information outside of your home country, see the FAQ items below. Support Phone List.

Travel Service
Q: I travel frequently, and I want to be sure the system I have, or am going to buy can be serviced in the country or countries I travel to.  Where can I look to find this out?
A: The International Warranty Service - > http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/iws.page?
Q: When traveling, how will I know what number to call for service or support?
A: The WW support number directory can be found here - > http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-4HWSE3
Q: I've heard about previous problems with batteries, and I've purchased a second hand system.  How can I tell if my laptop has a battery that was affected? 
A: Information is available on the Lenovo Support site, along with utilities that can help you check your system and battery to determine it's recall status and whether your battery has previously been exchanged through the program. http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT004883

Consumer support
Q: Where can I find drivers, user manuals, technical tips for Lenovo Consumer models like Y410  Laptops and K100 Desktops sold in retail stores?
A: The new support site contains drivers, user manuals and other support material for Idea and Consumer notebooks:- http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/default.page?

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Software and Drivers

[ Edited ]

Q: Where can I download drivers and software for my machine?
A: Follow this link - > http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TPAD-MATRIX

Q: I need to replace an FRU. Where can I download a service manual for my machine?

A: Follow this link - > http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=NDEX-HMM

Message Edited by carbon_unit on 11-23-2007 08:20 PM

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Parts lookup

[ Edited ]

Q: How can I tell what parts my machine is made up of?
A: Be sure to have your MTM number and serial number handy. The parts lookup can be found here.

Message Edited by Tim_Lenovo on 08-21-2008 02:08 PM

Punch Card
ryengineer

Service videos

[ Edited ]
Confused, lost, need to change a part and don't know how to?

Service videos

Following is a video matrice of almost all "Thinkpads" and lenovo 3000 machines: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=TPAD-MOVIES
..................................................................................................
I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

Present: T60 2007-55U, IBM 701c,
WorkStation: IBM IntelliStation A Pro.
Punch Card
GomJabbar

How to create recovery media using ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery

[ Edited ]

This one-button rescue solution includes a set of self recovery tools to help users diagnose, get help and recover from a virus or other software crash, even if the primary operating system will not boot.

It helps with everything from complete software failure to occasions when you need only to restore a corrupted or deleted file.

It is strongly recommend, to create your own rescue and recovery media, before changing the partitions or doing a clean install.

Moderator edit: made links
new

Message Edited by carbon_unit on 11-24-2007 09:05 AM

JaneL

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

[ Edited ]

Q. What's the policy on dead pixels?

A. For ThinkPads purchased starting January 1, 2008, see Display (LCD) replacement for defective pixels - ThinkPad

For ThinkVision see Lenovo LCD Flat Panel Displays (Monitors) - Lenovo Pixel Policy

Q. My machine is at the depot for repair.  How can I check on its status?

A. See the EasyServ information center

Q. My system has shipped, and when I look at the tracking status, I see "The shipment is being held by brokerage for reasons beyond ups' control".  What's that mean?

A. That's normal.  It means it's coming through customs.

Message Edited by nonny on 04-05-2008 09:44 PM

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 06-26-2008 09:56 AM

Message Edited by nonny on 07-08-2008 06:22 PM
Message Edited by nonny on 07-08-2008 07:09 PM

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

[ Edited ]
Q: My laptop came with Windows Vista and I want to downgrade to XP. How do I do it?
A: Either get the downgrade discs from Lenovo or follow the guide here to do it yourself.
    Please remember to make the Vista recovery set before doing this. (The instructions are two posts up.)

Q: I already downgraded to XP and now I want to go back to Vista. What do I do?
A: Get out the recovery set you made before downgrading and run them. If you don't have them you will have to contact Lenovo for a replacement set. Have your credit card ready.

Message Edited by carbon_unit on 05-27-2008 06:44 PM

JaneL

Wireless How To - ThinkPad

[ Edited ]

How do I get wireless in my ThinkPad to connect up?

Wireless How To - ThinkPad

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

JaneL

Cleaning Tips

[ Edited ]

How to keep your notebook clean - Notebooks

Jane

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

[ Edited ]

how can i find out about which linux distro provides the best out of the box support?

check out this compatabiltiy site 

HARDWARE COMPATABILITY LIST FOR DESKTOPS AND LAPTOPS

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo