Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Morbus
Accepted Solution

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) Windows 7 Driver?

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded my Lenovo ThinkPad T400's OS from Vista Enterprise to Windows 7 Enterprise (32 bit). Everything seemed to work well except for one thing - the graphics.

Some of the games like Sims 3 and Left 4 Dead can be played but they were choppier before the upgrade. Left 4 Dead 2 couldn't be played at all. It only launched and disappeared. I've already made sure I'm running my laptop on 'Best Performance', as usual before the upgrade.

Then I realised something. My laptop's graphics was running on:

Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

I couldn't find any option to switch to my pre-loaded ATI graphics card, which I could do previously. I then ran Device Manager and found out that my "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)" had the status of: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." I tried to update the driver thru the "Update Driver..." function in Device Manager but according to Windows, I already had the latest driver software.

I went to Lenovo's support site to look for the latest driver for this graphic card and they didn't have any for Windows 7. I searched the net but to no avail. Is it yet to be released? If yes, roughly when? I hope it won't be long or else my video card will be wasted. Thanks.

Paper Tape
kngzh

, dRe: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) Windows 7 Driver?

Hi, u can update ur drivers through windows update. i had the same problem as you and i manage to solve it.

But now i have the issues that my ATI catalyst control centre can be install on my laptop T400 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series yet i cannot launch the program, and my ATI drivers cannot be updated that i download  via the AMD main website. Hope people who know how to solve this can help me with it..

Im on window 7 32 bit T400 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

Paper Tape
Morbus

Re: , dRe: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) Windows 7 Driver?

Since I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise, I cannot use Windows Update as it is controlled by WSUS. Anyway, after hours of discussing with the IT experts at my workplace, none of them could solve the problem. They even said I can never run my video card again as it is not compatible with Windows 7.

But I didn't give up.

After hours of figuring out a solution, I decided to download and try out the "ThinkPad Switchable Graphics Driver for Windows 7 - ThinkPad R400, T400, T500, W500" and guessed what? It worked! The Catalyst center was also installed. Who knew it was the Switchable Graphics Driver when the ATI card was the only one shown in Device Manager to be not working.

Here's the link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73641

I hope this works for all of you who had the same problems as me. Cheers!

Paper Tape
kngzh

Re: , dRe: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) Windows 7 Driver?

i am runing window 7 enterprise also... but i can run window update directly from microsoft.

Thanks for it, i will try it out, hope it will solve my problems too. =D