Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
rfreschner

Re: High Power Consumption with Windows 7

TheDude wrote:

Not sure about any of you guys, but I spent a lot of time on battery in the last 2 weeks. WHat I found is the time estimate is WAY off.  WIht my T400 and 9 cell, it would boot and say 4 hours, after an hour or 2 of use, it would go up to 5 hours. I was getting a good 6+hours of battery life. Much of hte problem apprears to be gague calibration, not lost life.  Anybody else notice this?

I see this behavior if the indicator says 4 hours + when it starts.  But, more often than not lately, it shows under 3 hours on a full charge and it drains in less than 3 hours, usually less than 2.5.   Very frustrating......

Rick

Re: High Power Consumption with Windows 7

You should rejoice.You are in good company and not alone. I am getting similar pecular behaviour with XP after the

contraption was reformatted with the oblong blue thinkvantage button(By IBMs ingeener,not me).Withe the old setup

my battery used to give me flat 6:30.Probably something to do with the code their developers have put into the power manager software.

I have a T400+,with a p8400,160GB (7200 RPM),non working intel turbo memory upgraded to Xp form vista and a windows vista sticker and serial number.

Serial Port
AleHop

Re: Battery Life Decrease In Windows 7

Last week I upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits and I added 2 more Gb RAM from Lenovo to make it 4 Gb in total. Everythiing's fine and W7 is a much better option but it's disappointing that battery drains much quicker now. I thought it could be because of the 2 Gb of extra RAM but everybody has told me it cannot be that. Most people told me it was the W7 switchable graphics driver and they're probably right.

Another disappointment about graphics was the poor performance of the integrated graphics (intel GMA) compared to Vista 32 bits, specially for 3D graphics. If I run the Windows Experience Index I get:

Processor: Calculations per second -> 6.2

Memory (RAM): Memory operations per second -> 5.9

Graphics: Desktop performance for Windows Aero -> 4.1

Gaming graphics: 3D business and gaming graphics performance -> 3.4

Primary hard disk: Disk data transfer rate -> 5.6

Both figures were quite higher, and always above 4.5, on Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bits while the others seem to be quite similar.

I haven't found major issues like crashes or "pixel noise" but poorer performance together with higher consumption is quite disappointing and worrying for a laptop user like me. I can't talk much about ATI 5700 FireGL adapter as I use it only for specific programs but it looks fine and very similar to the Windows Vista 32 bits version.

Lenovo Thinkpad W500 4062-2XG (+2Gb RAM from Lenovo)

No external monitors. No conflicting software.

Latest BIOS and drivers.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bits
Latest BIOS and drivers.
Fanfold Paper
defconone

Your Experience Index is lower because MS changed their rating system. In Vista 5.9 was max., in W7 the max. rating is much higher.

Merry Xmas all

Serial Port
AleHop

I think it's only that lower when using integrated graphics, for ATI mobile FIRE GL V5700 it's quite the same.

Latest BIOS and drivers.
Token Ring
cassio

win7 max is 7.9, but ms says they both systems should be comparable...i.e. if you get 4.5 in vista, you should get 4.5 in win7 as well...the extra 2 is to accommodate the increased performance in various parts, so if you have, say, a cpu that's limited to 5.9 in vista, you might get a 6.x or eve 7.x in win7

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate :smileyvery-happy:
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
Serial Port
popen

[ Edited ]

I have upgraded from Vista 32 bit to Win 7 32 bit and after upgrading the drivers I experienced the same high consumption.

The wattage in Power Manager, when the graphics is switched to ATI, is about 12 W while the pc is idle. Switching to the Intel card lowers that to the minimum of about 9 W. However disabling the switchable graphics in bios and selecting the Intel card lets the wattage to drop to the minimum of about 7 W.

Also, the times I switched from the ATI to the Intel card in Vista, I used to hear a device disconnection sound like when you detach a usb drive. But now in win 7, I no longer hear that sound although the ATI device disappears from the device manager.

I noticed that people who experienced this problem had mostly upgraded to win 7. Is there anybody who has done a clean install of Win 7 and has this problem, too?

T400 2764CTO, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

popen wrote:

I noticed that people who experienced this problem had mostly upgraded to win 7. Is there anybody who has done a clean install of Win 7 and has this problem, too?

YES.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Serial Port
AleHop

I did it twice.

What I cannot understan is why we have to stick to Lenovo drivers. Why is not possible to download a switchable graphics driver from anywhere else in the world. Is there a Microsoft driver working fine for that purpouse? Intel? Ati? Anything at all?

Latest BIOS and drivers.

Latest BIOS and drivers.
Serial Port
AleHop

Something to add to the Graphics driver problem:

1) I used to hear a sound like when you switch on/off a device much more often in Windows Vista 32 bits than in Windows 7 64 bits. It seems everything is always on in Windows 7 64 bits but it could be because of faulty drivers.

2) Internet Explorer cpu usage is frequently abnormaly high and it could be because of faulty add-ons

Latest BIOS and drivers.

Latest BIOS and drivers.