Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Rumi

Re: Possible solution to low battery capacity in Win7

I tried disabling the Power Manager in services, didn't change anything for me.  Also, even tried uninstalling ThinkVantage Power Manager, but that didn't change anything either, Windows still only reporting 6 hours of battery life on my 9-Cell in Power Saving Mode.  I still have roughly 95% of my battery's original capacity... I should at least be getting 7 hours.  Using the Windows Power settings though does seem nicer.

Still waiting on driver updates Lenovo.

Lenovo Employee
lee_tvt

ThinkVantage Power Manager is likely to improve your battery life and has tools to help improve the life span of your battery

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Jeho

Powermanager always worked for me in Win XP but in Win 7 .... it seems to be broken or maybe there are some bad interactions with the Win 7 powermanagement.

Serial Port
dixis

sorry, but this is not the answer to our problem.... please read the thread!

Punch Card
Rumi

So there are quite a few reviews out now about Windows 7 and battery life with netbooks.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/stick-with-xp-windows-7-battery-life-worse-on-netbooks

I'm guessing this is a Windows 7 problem, although anything Lenovo can do to help with more efficient drivers would be great too.  Hopefully Microsoft will release some kind of SP2 or something to improve battery life.

Punch Card
Sayuuk

yes, but that's about the difference in battery life between XP and 7 (and Vista actually, since there hasn't been much change there...)

what we are experiencing here are a few very specific issues that have nothing to do with the general power management of the OS

Stefan

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
Serial Port
dixis

I have experienced something interesting lately.... when I had the Power manager GUI open, I immediately lost nearly one hour.... when I checked Taskmanager..... pwmgui.exe uses 50% of my CPU!

But with switching several times between descrete and internal grafics and finally staying on internal, plus no USB-drives attached....no usb-mouse connected.... and dimming the display to 3-4 stripes i nearly had 5 hours of "up-time" which is about the same as on vista...... considering that my battery wore down from 84 to 69 Wh in one year....

Model - W500 - 4063-A45

Punch Card
Sayuuk

dixis wrote:
considering that my battery wore down from 84 to 69 Wh in one year....

did you try a battery gauge reset on the battery maintenance screen already? I was down to 72 after 6 months, did a reset and it's back to 80, which is pretty good =)

Stefan

P.S.: the fact that the PWM-GUI uses a lot of CPU (for no appearent reason...) is well known I think...  nothing too major though since you normally don't have it open that much...

Thinkpad T500 2082-7SG
Serial Port
dixis

actually when i recalibrated i had 69 instead of 70..... but still i am quite happy

Serial Port
bemymonkey

[ Edited ]

I'm having similar battery life problems with an SL500 - ~25W power draw instead of the usual 16W under XP... not really acceptable. in my case, removing the Power Manager didn't help :smileysad:

-edit- Win7 Professional x64, BTW.