Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
sunworld

Bootmgr missing

Hi

I bought a Lenovo 4 months ago with pre-installed Windows 7. When I went to switch it on the other day it gave me the message: bootmgr missing. I have been advised that I need to run a repair / recovery disk, but seeing as it was pre-installed I have no installation disks. Can you please advise where I can get repair/recovery disks from and how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Bootmgr missing

Hello and welcome,

You (or a friend) can create a System Repair Disk from Windows (use the same "bitness" 32 or 64 as the target system) or you can download a bootable image.  Optionally one can boot from optical media or USB flash.

I have some notes about that over here:  Repairing Boot Problems Without a Windows DVD

It's possible the NeoSmart people are charging something these days  - not sure about that.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
sunworld

Thank you for your quick reply. I borrowed a friend's Windows 7 repair but it didn't work - I am not wondering if that is because it is not a 64bit (which my laptop is).

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

As I said, there are different repair disks for 32 and 64 bit systems.

You don't give any details about "didn't work" but that certainly could be the problem.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
sunworld

It said that the disks were not compatible with my system :smileysad:

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

OK, here's another option.  If you (or a friend) have a reasonable internet connection and a DVD burner, download the full (legal) Microsoft install media ISO and burn to DVD.  Boot that for repair.  As before, pick the one with the same "bitness" ( 32 or 64 ) as your current install.

Legal Resources for Downloading Windows 7

Now that NeoSmart charges for the ISO, I'll go add this to my blog.

Z.

What's DOS?
sunworld

Hi again,

Thanks for the info on the repair disks, I have done one (and $9.00 seems like such a small amount to pay to fix my problem!). However, my problems persist - I have tried to run the disk, but I am getting an error message relating to chkdsk - I have tried to run various commands to try and fix it, but it is not allowing me to. Sometimes it says that the disk is write protected and then it says it cannot work in read only. I have also tried to look for errors going through properties, but it says that I am unable to do that either. Also, when I try to run start repair it says I am unable to repair it automatically, but is unable to find a solution. My apologies for being so basic in my description, but I am not a computer techie and a bit out of my depth - before I ring for help, is there any way you think you might be able to help me? Also, if the laptop is under warranty from where I purchased it, is this the kind of thing that would be covered by the warranty?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

This may simply be  a failing hard drive.

It's probably time to call.  I'd expect a bad drive to be covered by warranty, but please discuss that with support.

Z.