Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Zuffox

Brightness forced to minimum - can't turn it up

[ Edited ]
On my T500 running Windows 7 RC x64 my brightness is suddenly at near-minimum. I've tried using the slider and the keyboard shortcuts, but nothing will turn it back up. It always stays at the same minimum-ish setting, which, obviously, is immensely annoying. If it's worth mentioning, it happened on the first boot, after I'd used the laptop without the power cord plugged in. For some reason, I can change the brightness effectively during boot, but when logging in, the problem kicks in. Please advize, as this practically renders my laptop useless.
Message Edited by Zuffox on 05-22-2009 07:20 AM
Paper Tape
magnusindregard

Re: Brightness forced to minimum - can't turn it up

I have the same problem on my T61 with Windows 7 RC x86. The brightness is fixed in power saving mode, and neither the keyboard shortcuts (Fn + Home/End) nor the Control Panel slider does anything.

I noticed that the green, on-screen indicators which used to appear when using the keyboard to adjust brightness or volume on Vista are missing. Is this some Lenovo software? I tried to download it from the web site, but couldn't find anything that fit.

Serial Port
Zuffox

[ Edited ]

The Hotkey and System Interface software is what shows a message in green when you use your shortcuts. It's available from the usual download site.

I solved it the locked brightness by uninstalling Power Manager. I believe that there's a beta version out for Windows 7, so uninstall it and go fetch the Windows 7-compatible edition. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Zuffox on 06-06-2009 02:43 PM
Message Edited by Zuffox on 06-07-2009 11:05 AM
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

magnus in dregard wrote:

I noticed that the green, on-screen indicators which used to appear when using the keyboard to adjust brightness or volume on Vista are missing.

Hi Magnus: 

Ah-ha...  good observation.  You have identified the cause of your problem, which is that you are missing the driver software that is needed to control screen brightness (and also a whole bunch of other things related to power consumption and computer performance).

Please go to the Lenovo Windows 7 Beta Driver download page, and download and install the drivers that are appropriate for your computer.

Before doing that, carefully read and consider the suggestions and comments on this post Device Driver Install Order discussion.  It seems that the order in which some of these drivers are installed is quite important, because some of them depend on others being present (first) in order to install correctly.

I kinda, sorta think that you will need to install the following items (from the beta driver site) in the following order, rebooting your laptop between each installation:

System Interface Driver

Hotkey Driver

Power Management Driver

Power Manager

Be aware that the "Power Management Driver" and the "Power Manager" are not the same thing.  The "Power Management Driver" is the foundation upon which the "Power Manager" relies in order to be able to work properly.  As computer users, we never touch or interact with the "Power Management Driver".  All of our interaction is with the "Power Manager", which is the little green battery icon that you noticed was missing.  But, if you don't install the "Power Management Driver" first, the Power Manager cannot work.

When you go to the Windows 7 Beta Driver  download page, you will see that the "Power Manager" is closer to the top of the page than the "Power Management Driver".  Do not let this confuse you.  Download and install the four items in the list above in the order in which they are listed.

And, of course, don't forget to come back here and let us know if this solved your problem, so that other may benefit from your experience.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Paper Tape
magnusindregard

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid it didn't work. The indicators are back, and the brightness indicator even moves when I use the keyboard short cuts, but the actual brightness doesn't change. Strange.

Thanks for your help anyway! At the moment, my display brightness is at an acceptable level, so I'll just be careful not the turn it off while unplugged. And then I trust this to be fixed by the time the final version of W7 hits the streets...

Thanks,

Magnus

Punch Card
tasafoni

Have the same problem here.

With fresh install of Win7 (w/o any drivers) the screen brightness could be changed both from keyboard and Control Panel, but after installing System Interface, PM and Hotkey drivers the actual brightness is stuck, while indicator is moving. Display dimming is also not working.

Uninstalling drivers doesn't help, reinstalling older versions neither.

Fanfold Paper
rt1234

[ Edited ]

same issue w/ T400 and W7RC1 .. after installing newest drivers in suggested order, OSD for screen brightness goes up and down but brightness itself doesn't change.

Message Edited by rt1234 on 06-09-2009 01:00 PM
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

magnusindregard wrote:

I'm afraid it didn't work. The indicators are back, and the brightness indicator even moves when I use the keyboard short cuts, but the actual brightness doesn't change.

Hi Magnus:

My guess is that you just found a bug in the new beta software.  Maybe Lenovo will send you a T-shirt or similar to acknowledge your research efforts...  :smileyvery-happy:

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Fanfold Paper
vagpap

Brightness control seems to be the only one issue having with Win7 (7100) in my R61. OSD and Fn+Home/End work fine, but the brightness is not affected.

A workaround I have found working is that if I set the brightness to a level I want, turn the pc to sleep mode, and wake it up again, the new brightness setting is applied :-)

Battery meter seems also to have a strange behaviour though, since immediately after wake up, the indicator shows strange readings, like 48hours of battery time remaining! After some time it reverses to normal. (wish it could last 48hours though :smileytongue: )

What's DOS?
radh77

Same problem here - T61 w/NVS140 ... Windows 7 RC x64

Brightness stuck and cannot be changed.... the OSD works fine but does not do anything...

It looks to me like the problem is with the drivers (179.67) that Microsoft is pushing thru Windows 7 update service.

Once I installed these drivers the brightness stopped working... 

Due to some kind of modifications that Lenovo is performing on the Nvidia drivers you cannot use the notebook version of the latest Nvidia drivers posted on their website (186.03).

For me the fix was to uninstall the drivers that were distributed thru windows update and download the older Vista x64 version of the modified Lenovo driver from Lenovo's website - 7kd646ww...I believe that version number is 176.93.

After installing the old Vista x64 driver the brightness started working again. I have not noticed any problems with using these older drivers on W7 RC yet... 

I know that this is just a temporary fix... I hope that Lenovo will try to release some kind of updated driver other than the one that is available on WU