Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
606octranspo

Cannot turn on WIFI on Thinkpad E420

Hi,

I recently changed my windows from XP to 7. I usually use the LAN to access internet, but realised after switching to Windows7 I cannot turn on the wireless capability (this is what it says to do on troubleshooting). The F9 key doesn't work anymore, which used to do on xp and the window like the one on http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-Knowledge-Base/Is-there-a-wifi-switch-on-Thinkpad-E420-or-... doesn't appear anymore. All other keys like brightness and volume control work. Things I have already tried are:-

1.) Installed the latest drivers from the lenovo support for hotkeys integration and system interface.

2.) Installed the proper WLAN drivers (It also shows the wireless networks symbol on the tray, but cannot discover any networks since the wifi isn't turned on).

Plese help me.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Cannot turn on WIFI on Thinkpad E420

Hello 606octranspo and welcome to community,

Kindly update the BIOS and reinstall Power Management software and ThinkPad Power Management Driver

BIOS Update Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP

BIOS Update Bootable CD for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), XP

Restart the laptop and then press F9 key and check. Kindly check does the wireless lan card detect in device manager.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Blue Screen Again
megatanker454

You need to reinstall the Wlan drivers
Blue Screen Again
sbumgarner

I see that this is an old post, but my similar experience might be helpful to someone. My E420 wireless stopped working. F9 indicated wireless turned on, but I had no wireless. Finally went to Windows Mobility Center and turned it on there. If I plug in ethernet cable, wireless is turned off. On my 64 bit Win 7 machine, turning off, then on, using F9 does nothing. Somehow, for some reason, F9 is not controlling what happens in Win 7. I have latest BIOS and other software. Guess I'll have to live with it. At least I know how to turn it on now.

Stan