Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
Sergy777
Accepted Solution

DVD writer not seen in my computer. t420i,win 7, 64bit

DVD writer not seen in my computer
Device manager shows device but flag it as problem driver

Lenovo t420i, win 7, 64bit

when i do a system restore to earlier time when drive worked, it appears and after updates to machine (windows updates) it disappears again - can i not lock the driver when i get it to work?

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: DVD writer not seen in my computer. t420i,win 7, 64bit

As I understand when the Windows update it corrupts the DVD writer driver.

If the DVD writer gets corrupted, kindly uninstall it from Device manager and the go to INF folder.

Click on Start button then go to Run dialog box and type INF

In this folder you will find a file Cdrom.inf (cdrom) delete this fie then restart the laptop and it will load a new fresh driver.

I hope this solution works for you.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

ibc
Fanfold Paper
ibc

Re: DVD writer not seen in my computer. t420i,win 7, 64bit

I had the same problem on my T510.   Drove me nuts, cuz Win7 said driver was "missing or corrupted" and whenever I chose "Update Driver" it replied that my driver was already up-to-date.   Argh!    I tried swapping the DVD device with a different model DVD reader, but the same problem remained.

Turns out the problem was NOT the driver itself, but with Windows registry keys that refer to UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

BTW, it had nothing to do with upgrading Windows, despite the title of this Microsoft article (URL below).   Instead, it was caused by iTunes inserting a hidden software "filter" between Win7 and its device driver.   A bad (eg, corrupted or missing) filter prevents Windows from talking to its device driver.   So removing a filter from the registry tells Windows to talk directly to the driver.

Using "regedit", I just followed these MicroSoft instructions to delete both the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" registry keys, and suddenly everything WORKS!!!      Yay!  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

I did have to reinstall iTunes afterward, but this time iTunes inserted some working filters.