Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
mitchell2345

Re: Brightness control?

HA! fixed it, kinda.

Use this utility to switch to your intel graphics.  From here you can adjust brightness.  Then if need be go back to ATI.

http://zabadab.eu/switchablegraphics/

~Mitchell

Fanfold Paper
craiggerz

erik wrote:

craiggerz wrote:

Yes.

It also didn't work with Windows Vista 64-bit and I was unable to get a solution then.

assuming you have a G530, have you tried the drivers available on the driver matrix below?

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=10

Yes I have... still does not work.

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

I understand there is going to be some transition period from RTM to official Win7 release installs and official Lenovo drivers and Bios.

Lenovo support efforts will be focused on supporting Windows 7 installed as a factory preload or from a Microsoft Win 7 upgrade CD and the use of Lenovo drivers obtained from either bundled CD / DVD or downloaded from our support site or installed via TVSU.

After configuring your systems to these supported parameters, if these issues with hot key brightness controls continue, we can try to recreate and work them as normal issues.

Thanks

Mark

This doesn't change the fact that it does not work, you're just delaying getting us a solution. It will take a few months before G530 users with Windows 7 bought from you start complaining.

Also I don't understand how you don't have complains from Vista-64 bit users because it doesn't work with that OS either.

There are a ton of threads started in the forum regarding this and no one has provided a solution yet.

mitchell2345 wrote:

HA! fixed it, kinda.

Use this utility to switch to your intel graphics.  From here you can adjust brightness.  Then if need be go back to ATI.

http://zabadab.eu/switchablegraphics/

~Mitchell

Really not acceptable, Lenovo needs to release an update for us.
What's DOS?
personne1212

Update your BIOS to the latest version (3.09) and the brigthness control will work on the two graphic cards.

Fanfold Paper
craiggerz

Bump... still an issue for me.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pickler

this is also an issue for me. i update the bios, display driver, hotkey, lenovo power manager....everything. doesnt work.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pickler

[ Edited ]

ok i finally FIXED IT ! the trick is to install the vista graphics driver. here is a step by step procedure that i followed to fix it:

1. uninstall all intel display drivers in programs (add/remove section of control panel)

2. get in to device manager and uninstall all display drivers

3. DO NOT RESTART YET

4. download intel display driver for vista edition here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-71004

5. install the driver you just download. you should get a message from windows saying the installation failed; in that case select 'reinstall using recommended settings'. now it should install properly*. after install is done wait a few minutes for windows 7 to register the new driver. then go ahead and restart.

6. now you should be able to adjust brightness using FN + F10/F11 (for lenovo G530)

*if by any chance you still fail at installing the vista driver, locate the extract files and use windows compatibility mode (vista) to run the setup.exe. the files are usually extracted to C:\drivers\vista\intel.

* if you still cannot adjust brightness, download lenovo hotkey driver. just google it.

* this is for lenovo g530 only (model 4446 specifically)

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Pickler,

Thanks for sharing this !   :smileyhappy:

It will be interesting to see if other's report success following your directions - always good to see others confirm solutions work for them.

There is a related discussion on this brightness issue over on the Lenovo 3000 / Valueline board that we are also looking into.  There are two bios versions available and one (52) is reported to solve the brightness issue but may cause some long POST times.  Bios 1.09 for the commercial versions of the 4446 type system is reported as having a fast / normal POST, but may have the brightness issue. 

What BIOS do you have installed now?

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
craiggerz

Thanks Pickler, although it didn't work for me on the first attempt. I know have the option to 'adjust brightness' in my power options but nothing happens when I adjust it or use the buttons on the keyboard. When I first restarted my laptop after following your instructions it allowed me to change the brightness before I got to the Windows log in screen, then at this point it stopped working. I will try the process again tomorrow and see if it will work.

Fanfold Paper
gizsin

G530 4446-A11 Win7 Brightness Adjustment -Unsolved Problem-

Hello. There is a unsolved problem with my g530 which has win7 ultimate x64. I took this machine 6 months ago and there is no resolve. Not only the one user of this machine, there are many of others. The bios update way is strechted out the starting of win7, for this reason this is not a good idea. To solce a small software problem, it's difficult to do?..

Paper Tape
johnnyp1231

Re: G530 4446-A11 Win7 Brightness Adjustment -Unsolved Problem-

during boot-up, before windows 7 begins to load, you can (at least i can) adjust the brightness Via Fn F11