Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Kesar

Internal mic not working

I have a lenovo 3000 n100 laptop. i recently upgraded it to windows 7 and installed all the drivers. i am now using Soundmax Digital HD Audio.... but strangely the internal microphone does not work. when i connect it to an external mic it still doesn't work. Neither on skype nor on sound recording. Can anybody pleeeease help me

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Internal mic not working

Hi Kesar,

Please try the following troubleshooting steps and check.

1. Right-click the icon of the speakers icon at the notification area, and then click “Sounds”.

1.JPG

2. Click the tab “Recording”, and then click “Microphone” à select “Properties”.

1.JPG

3. Select the tab “Listen”, and then check “Listen to this device”. Apply it, and the function will be enabled.

1.JPG

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
saejinkwak

Hello, I did this, but now when I try to record a sound or talk to someone on Skype, there is a very loud white-noise sound. 

How do I fix this so my internal mic will work properly? 

Guru
PeterTWJ

Welcome to Lenovo Community! :smileyvery-happy: saejinkwak

You could try Step 2, 3 and 4 of this link to see if your problem could be resolved.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/ThinkPad-W520-microphone-troubleshooting/ta-p/... 

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

Dolby Home Theater v4 ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet

Paper Tape
saejinkwak

None of that did anything.........

When I click "listen to" the microphone, it picks up my voice but has outrageous amounts of white noise sound on top of it.

If i don't click "listen to" then there is no sound at all when I try to record myself or skype.

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi saejinkwak

Supposingly, you should not be able to hear your own voice being played (as if you are using external mic and speakers) if you are using internal speakers and microphone. Even though you would not be able to hear your own voice through speaker, you should not have problem while communicating with friends in Skype or play what you say after the recording.

Below the taskbar, right-click Volume icon, click Recording devices. Select Recording tab, try to talk or do a mic test. If the green volume bar raise up, your microphone should be working correctly. If not, try increase the microphone volume and try again. (Double-click Microphone, select Level tabs). If nothing works, contact Tech Support.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

Paper Tape
saejinkwak

I meant that when I click "listen to", the mic will work on skype or when I try to record a sound, but there is an enormous amount of background noise which makes it impossible to use. Not that I hear my own voice. 

The green bar moves, but when I do a test call on skype, there is no sound. When I try to record my own voice, there is no sound. I've adjusted the levels. I've adjusted the microphone boost. Everything suggests that the mic is supposed to be working properly, but it simply isn't. 

Please let me know if you have any other suggetions. Otherwise, I think I will just return the computer. 

Thank you for your time. 

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi saejinkwak

Try to uncheck "listen to", apply, restart your computer,  and try again on your skype and recording. By right, if you are using as external microphone and speakers for karaoke (singing) purpose, then check the "listen to" will benefit.

By the way, what machine / OS are you using? Now there are only 2 things I could think of, either incorrect / old driver installed or hardware faulty.

XP:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001699
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001516

Vista:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS000747

Welcome. If nothing else works, you could liaise with them to resolve your problems. 

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Paper Tape
saejinkwak

Hello,

I tried it and it still doesnt work.

I'm on the ideapad s10-3t and i'm using windows 7

Guru
PeterTWJ

[ Edited ]

Hi saejinkwak

Uninstall existing audio driver and install
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS012495
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS010786 

If it does not work, you could click the Dolby Home Theater v4 link (PDF guide also available in the link) on my signature to test whether it is hardware or driver faulty.

You could still try it out if you have time and have not liaise with any representatives.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)