Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
nSeika

Japanese keyboard layout

Hi. I had an X40 that still has Japanese keyboard. The problem is, during reinstall, I can't get the right keyboard layout. I could use the Japanese 106/109 keys driver, but the buttons such as to change hiragana/katakana, transform, etc, doesn’t work. Anyone had an idea about solution, or maybe the correct driver for this ?

community supermod
erik

Re: Japanese keyboard layout

welcome to the forum!

open the "regional and language options" control panel and click on the "keyboards and languages" tab.   from here you can install the JP keyboard language and remove your current keyboard language.   this should allow the カタカナ / ひらがな and 無変換 / 変換 buttons to function correctly. :smileywink:

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
nSeika

I’ve tried it, but to no avail. When I got the notebook, it’s fitted with English version of XP (using US keyboard layout, but physical Japanese keyboard), and I’ve just installed Windows 7 beta. Any idea of what customization I might missed ?

community supermod
erik

not sure.   i've been using japanese layout keyboards on my thinkpads for about a decade.   all i've ever done was set up the keyboard in the regional settings control panel and install the keyboard using the japanese 106/109 keyboard driver.   keep in mind that you might need to log off and back on for the settings to change.

what OS are you currently using: XP or 7?   if 7, have you tried this under XP?

is it just the kana input that you can't get started?   can you type the '@' key properly?

Paper Tape
nSeika

As far as I tried, only the transform keys doesn't work. The rest of the buttons functions just like what's printed.

In addition, when I switch the keyboard to Microsoft IME, the 半角/全角 button function to switch input method, so seems like they're not broken.

I tried using Windows' On-screen keyboard, but it doesn't give any response either..

I haven't tried it in XP, never expected this to happen.

community supermod
erik

ahh... in that case it sounds like this is an issue with windows 7.   i moved your thread to the win 7 board because of this.

the input, transform, and kana buttons have worked for me under multiple OSes including NT4, 98, 2000, server 2000, XP, server 2003, vista, and server 2008 all using similar installation methods as i decribed above.   so, this is why i'm lead to think that it's a bug with windows 7 -- or at least a function not yet implemented since it's a beta.

have you installed the japanese MUI (multilingual user interface) pack yet?   windows 7 beta is the "ultimate" version and should allow more languages to be installed.   perhaps this is required to get the transform buttons working.

What's DOS?
sayonara386

日本人ではありませんが、日本語で書かせてください。

→ 最初にStartをクリックして、Computerを右クリックしてManageを選択してください。

→ Device Managerを選択して、KeyboardsをダブルクリックしてStandard P/S Keyboardをダブルクリックしてください。

→ 開いたダイアログにDriverタブに移動して、Update Driverボタンをクリックしてください。

→ Browser my computer for driver software選択

→ Nextをクリックせず、Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computerを選択してください。

→ Show compatible hardwareからチェックを外して下に2つリストに分けられます。

→ 右側のリストに適切なJapanese PS/2 Keyboardを選択してください。警告メッセージが出てきますが、Yesを押下げ無視してください。

→ 最後に再起動すればKeyboardを正しく使うことができると思います。

Fanfold Paper
flummoxy

sayonara386さん、本当にありがとうございました!Windows7(English)とJapanese Keyboardを注文しましたので、キーボードの問題がありまして、sayonara386さんの方法で治りました。