Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
cybercy
Accepted Solution

L512 - Win7 64bit freeze

hi!

I've recently installed my L512 with Win7 Enterprise, 64 bit edition. Run Lenovo System Update, all drivers are properly installed.

BUT

The machine freezes randomly, 1-2 times a day. There is no Blue Screen of Death, only it hangs. For hours, if i leave the machine alone. Then I have to restart by pushing the off button.

There is absolutely no event in the event log regarding the crash. Dear Lenovo, please investigate this.

Checks I've done:

- cloned HDD to another HDD - crash still comes.

- reinstalled Win7 - crash still comes.

- went back to XP (with totally same hardware)  - NO crash

According to my opinion, it must be some driver issue. Anyone any idea how to fix this fast? Thanks!

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: L512 - Win7 64bit freeze

hey cybercy,

welcome to the forums.

since this happens on Win7 64x, could you uninstall all Lenovo drivers and software.

let win7 install its generic drivers.

with generic drivers install, use your unit and see if it freezes. If it doesn't freeze, then it is probably one of the drivers/software that was previously installed.

and to determine which it is, install one driver/software at a time and use it. repeat process until it freezes.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
cybercy

thanks, I'll try the generic drivers and see what happens. I'll post the result here.
What's DOS?
oregon

I have the same problem with mine.
Have you had any luck with what was suggested here?
Paper Tape
cybercy

hi!

unfortunately the method did not work. Lenovo, please test this in your lab.

We have ca. 150 lenovo laptops in our company, I work for the IT dept., and this L512 is my own laptop

If I cannot get the machine to work, our next laptop purchase will be HP or DELL. This is unacceptable. Even if I make a clean install of Win7 x64, and run a full Lenovo System Update, the laptop freezes within 30 Minutes.

Please escalate this issue to the responsible team.

Thank you

Paper Tape
PaigePB

I'm also having this problem. Please let me know when this is fixed.  I'm using my first Lenovo but not my first Windows 7 64 bit computer. I've never seen this type of instability before - and there's no event log message for me to use to diagnose the problem.

Paper Tape
PaigePB

I got the freeze problem to stop!

I started uninstalling Lenovo specific programs. At the first batch of uninstalls the freezing continued:

ThinkVantage Access connections,
thinkVantage Active Proction System
ThinkVantage communications utility

However when I uninstalled the following four items, the freezing stopped:

Thinkpad power manager
thinkpad power manager driver
Thinkpad ultranav driver
thinkpad ultarnav utility

My money is on  the Thinkpad power manager and driver for being the problem - as I noticed earlier that I could decrease the frequency of the freeze episodes by changing my power setting for maximum power use.

However I'm including the full list of items I uninstalled in case the issue is a conflict between programs or drivers.

Paper Tape
cybercy

Thanks a lot!!

I can confirm, your solution has worked with the uninstall of the mentioned drivers. Thanks again.

What's DOS?
canadadave

[ Edited ]

FYI this fix works for L412 machines that have the exact same problem. 

Also, I can confirm it is just the "Lenovo Power Management Driver" that is the culprit.

Thank you to PaigePB as I have been fighting with this problem for 2 months, with no luck until now.