Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

Re: Lenovo Announces Windows 7 upgrade program

[ Edited ]

kkdeep,

Regarding getting help....

If you go back into the registration site, on about step 3 of the 5 step process their is a link for FAQ in the upper right corner.  Select that link.   From the FAQ there is a selection / link for support and a form you can fill out - this request will be send to our fulfillment partner for status.

All,

Regarding the concerns for the $17 charge for DVDs for install. I understand that it seems odd to pay any fee to receive something that should be free.  However, please consider that we are supporting a WW customer base and there are significant costs involved to manage the logistics of this, including the registration, validation, inventory, packing, addressing and shipping to virtually any location in the world. 

In fairness, as the  sale price of PCs continues to decline, the costs for programs like this which at one time could be absorbed completely and offered for free, now cannot.   Again, I understand there may be "brand X" examples where this was provided for free, but I would ask that you compare Lenovo fairly to other global PC brands.  

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
dominic0315

Mark_Lenovo,

Hello! I just purchased a new X200 from University.

I am quite sad to know Lenovo is only offering the OS Upgrade Disc. Anyway, I just want the OS in RnR form for my X200. Do u think it's possible? If currently there's no plan to give away OS in RnR form, can u reflect this bk to Lenovo?

Thanks!

Aptiva 2187-16V
ThinkCentre A50 8090-I1H
ThinkPad T61 7663-B37 | X200 7458-PB8
Punch Card
kkdeep

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

kkdeep,

Regarding getting help....

If you go back into the registration site, on about step 3 of the 5 step process their is a link for FAQ in the upper right corner.  Select that link.   From the FAQ there is a selection / link for support and a form you can fill out - this request will be send to our fulfillment partner for status.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. The reason i did not use the "Contact Us" button was because i did not get any reponse from them earlier for a different query.    Anyway i have given a try again now. The pop up says that i should get a reply in 3 days. Hoping for the best.

--Thanks

Kuldeep

Serial Port
bht5000

hi mark,

i compared Lenovo to other companies. i have an acer and an HP. they offered windows 7 free. yes even the shipping. so i have compared them with others. lenovo is ripping us off. 

Punch Card
kkdeep

This is the reply i got from Lenovo. Posting for the benefit of others.

--Kuldeep

"Thank you for your enquiry, if your already sent in a copy of your proof of purchase please be informed that we are still in the midst of validating your order and thousands of others… You will receive a notification email once validation is completed. If we do need more information about your case before sending you the windows 7 upgrade we will let you know. The payment will start on October 15, 2009 and the shipping will start on October 22, 2009"

Punch Card
rkhiii

[ Edited ]

$17.03 of Shipping & Handling...probably more profit in that line item than in their hardware.  Ridiculous really when you consider Microsoft is providing the upgrade free to their OEM's.  Are any other mfr's clipping their customers for the upgrade?  I know Dell, HP & Gateway aren't.  The upgrade is sitting in my cart as I type this but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on principal alone after getting the upgrade free (as in $0 free) on systems I recently purchased from Dell & Gateway.

Punch Card
rkhiii

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

<< Regarding the concerns for the $17 charge for DVDs for install. I understand that it seems odd to pay any fee to receive something that should be free.  However, please consider that we are supporting a WW customer base and there are significant costs involved to manage the logistics of this, including the registration, validation, inventory, packing, addressing and shipping to virtually any location in the world.   In fairness, as the  sale price of PCs continues to decline, the costs for programs like this which at one time could be absorbed completely and offered for free, now cannot.   Again, I understand there may be "brand X" examples where this was provided for free, but I would ask that you compare Lenovo fairly to other global PC brands. >>

Mark, first of all "Brand X" encompasses nearly every major brand (i.e. Lenovo competitor) in the channel.  It's not the $17 bucks but rather the bigger picture, of which Lenovo apparently fails to see on most issues.  In this case, they're far too centered on nickel and diming their end user than creating a sense of goodwill.  You can't put a price on brand loyalty, though apparently Lenovo has...$17.03.  Oh well...off to take it up the sphincter and get my "Free" Win 7 upgrade on order.

Punch Card
tranle

How about Lenovo providing a downloadable version of the upgrade ?

No shipping and handling cost for either of us.

Punch Card
ImportMuscle

Mark must be one of Lenovos spin doctors. They are good at spinning things around, every company has them working very hard. Besides the crappy customer service they are providing us, also to follow through the upgrade process and the loops we have to go through just to get the update, I doubt anybody will get one from the way things are looking so far. Most of this Lenovo reps online here could care less about customer service.

Punch Card
IMaPC

so will the upgrade dvd be the same as the upgrade dvd straight from microsoft or will it be some sort of recovery disc by lenovo?