Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
Perfguy

Re: Lenovo Win 7 Enhanced Experience

[ Edited ]

@albatrossNY  and @evro

Thanks for the replies.  Believe me I understand your point.  The feedback and appetite for Enhanced Experience has been very healthy.  So much so that we are looking at ways to spread the goodness wherever possible (at least more than originally planned).  An easy way would be to ship Win7 Recovery CDs but there are some legal and financial concerns that we are working through, if we even can.  Outside of that I am trying push the improvements we have made in the preload into the individual packages that are published to lenovo.com and TVSU - and that's not as easy as it sounds.  Redist rights are complicated.

Anyway, unless you have an Enhanced Experience preload, I still recommend the Win7 clean install route and then install off of lenovo.com and TVSU according to your preference.  If you have questions about individual packages just post to the forums so I or any of the smart posters here can help.

Blue Screen Again
AtticusJames

I have an SSD T500 purchased oct 20 this year (painful I know) and I am trying to make sense of all of this EE discussion. I followed the instructions that came with my Windows 7 upgrade CD last night. I didn't clean install because the little booklet listed out steps that I assumed were the Lenovo recommended way to go.

Am I doing harm to my SSD by not having clean installed (either performance or eventual degradation)? I plugged in the companion disk as well and did whatever it prompted me to (only one step and just a couple of moments). Does this mean that I have the closes optimization of my system to EE that I can get? Is the BIOS updated? When I go to the BIOS page on Lenovo and look up Tseries it doesn't seem to list my machine.

Sorry to rehash the same posts over and over again, but it seems that even the clearest of answers manage to eventually confuse me after I read the rest of the discussion.

Thanks in advance

Token Ring
oscar9

AtticusJames wrote:

Am I doing harm to my SSD by not having clean installed (either performance or eventual degradation)?

AtticusJames, I just wanted to clarify one part of your question for you. Any I/O read/write information on your SSD will cause a very VERY small amount of degradation which, over a long time, lowers its performance respectivley. I would not worry about formatting and installing on your SSD if I were you. This just happens, those drives weren't made to last forever :smileywink:.

If you DO worry about it and want to extend the life of your SSD, look into a program like Diskeeper Pro 2010 (or something similar). This program was made with SSD's in mind, here is a quote from Diskeeper's help file that explains it way better than I could:

"Solid state drive (SSD) technology delivers faster and better performance than conventional hard disk drives. However, Microsoft Windows is not optimized for NAND Flash as a principal storage device, such as is used with SSDs. As a result, computers with SSD storage devices will eventually experience a very noticeable and dramatic performance deterioration (up to 80%), to the degree that they will operate much slower than they would with a hard disk. Research at Diskeeper Corporation has shown that SSD performance can be greatly improved by a special type of optimization.

HyperFast technology is the innovative new solution to increase performance and extend the useful life of Solid State Drives (SSDs). HyperFast automatically detects SSDs and applies specialized processing to optimize them. Using HyperFast technology, your SSDs will maintain that out-of-box speed for file writes, which would otherwise deteriorate over time. This optimization process also minimizes the number of erase-write cycles that would otherwise occur through normal use, thereby increasing SSD longevity."

Lenovo T61 6459 CTO 2.4Ghz x64 4Gb RAM -- 320Gb 7200RPM HD + 100Gb 7200RPM Ultrabay HD; Win 7 RTM x64, Ubuntu 9.04 x64
Fanfold Paper
jonburg

following this advice to do a clean install using the Lenovo Upgrade DVD, from Vista Bus64 to Win7 Pro 64, here is what has happened to me:

Access Help - not there (installs to Windows Dir, not reachable). Here I assume Win7 EE has a customised Help and Support, so thanks for releasing the Access Help file installer now how do we use it after installing it???

Mobile Broadband Connect - no Windows 7 download available

Roxio - disappears completely

Worst - Rescue and Recovery partitions - Win7 gives you a 100MB PE which aint big enough for RnR 43 - and 43 doesnt create a binary.

So following this advice, the PC is crippled with no Win7 recovery partition - really, the upgrade DVD should blat te machine and give it a binary recovery image, or let you create one on a spare HDD partition, and we should have step by step guidance for this, provided as part of the upgrade.

The gaps are not yet addressed through TVSU and I doubt the last one can be addressed through TVSU.

Fanfold Paper
jonburg

What is the situation with access help?

Punch Card
albatrossNY

Thanks PerfGuy, I appreciate the reply from a Lenovo engineer who is working hard to make my current devices better, and my future devices awesome.  It's amazing how much more understanding that you are than some non-Lenovo employees who always trash anyone on this board.  I appreciate your inventions and courtesy.

I hope your marketing/sales department can come up with a way we can get the Enhancements. 

Just throwing this out there.  I would be willing to pay a $10 to $25 fee per computer to get some sort of Lenovo enhancement application. 

Maybe your marketing department can do a survey and find that many of us are willing to pay for these things, not just complain on the message boards.

Perfguy wrote:

@albatrossNY  and @evro

Thanks for the replies.  Believe me I understand your point.  The feedback and appetite for Enhanced Experience has been very healthy.  So much so that we are looking at ways to spread the goodness wherever possible (at least more than originally planned).  An easy way would be to ship Win7 Recovery CDs but there are some legal and financial concerns that we are working through, if we even can.  Outside of that I am trying push the improvements we have made in the preload into the individual packages that are published to lenovo.com and TVSU - and that's not as easy as it sounds.  Redist rights are complicated.

Anyway, unless you have an Enhanced Experience preload, I still recommend the Win7 clean install route and then install off of lenovo.com and TVSU according to your preference.  If you have questions about individual packages just post to the forums so I or any of the smart posters here can help.

Punch Card
jgt1942

I'm a wee bit confused about the Win7 EE process. I purchased my W700 Jan 09 so I don't fall within the window for the Win7 recovery CD set. I performed a clean installed of Win7 Ultimate x64 on a new HD I also installed the ThinkVantage System Update utility after installing Win7, then ran the update from Lenovo.

Have I taken advantage of the Win7 EE updates or is there something else that I need to do or am I lost in the woods? I don't see the response times mentioned in the video by Perfguy :smileysad:

BTW Win7 is MUCH better than Vista!!!!!! :smileyvery-happy: but I'd love to have any additional performance increases.

jgt1942
Paper Tape
johnp0126

i also have a w700 27523KU (quadcore, 4gb ram 320 gb dual drives 7200rpm, 1920x1280 res, 1gb video ram).  I did a clean install (had vista 64 bit).  I did the install, then did all windows updates, installed system update but selectively installed lenovo drivers etc.  I did not install things I though were already in 7.  I did not install the modem software (don't use it), did not install access connections (most features in 7),   I also always set a favorite to the specific w700 with windows 7 (not the driver matrix) to find new installs as I find sometimes some things appear there first.  I also did not install the ultra nav utility nor the security software (just the finger print reader).  I did the couple of bios upgradesthat were online (not via SU).

In addition we use a program from www.whatsrunning.net (checkout the v3 beta) and go into startup and remove most of the "auto" starts that things like itunes, google and others put in to autostart.   I have now what I think are very respectible start / suspend times.  I will list near the end.  I also auto defrag every night  I leave my pc on all the time and from my experience using the beta, RC and RTM its running the best of any OS I have ever run back to win 3.1.  It just seems to work!  The to Login was affected by slower than expected time where the finger print is in 'please wait' state.  I will continue to monitor these.

Lastly we can get as close to EE as we can, but we don't have the info and tweaking they did.  I did have a demo and the only other thing I could see was that there were several other processes that were set to "delay start" that were not part of the drivers and or 7 install.  I am testing to see if they help any.

Power on to Starting Windows Screen23
To Login/Fingerprint Prompt105
Login to be able to do commands120

Shutdown to Power Off39

Suspend (FN F4) or Sleep11
Resume from Suspend / Sleep6

Hibernate (FN F12)25
Resume from Hibernate39
Punch Card
jgt1942

If there are any driver updates I highly suspect Lenovo would have them rather than MS, thus I just let the ThinkAdvantage System Update do it all. Per my contact al lenovo this was the better option and saved me a lot of work.

jgt1942
Paper Tape
dmleman

I purchased a T500 in July of last year with XP Pro as the o/s. I've since upgraded to Win 7 (32 bit) and everything is working fine albeit without EE. I have now ordered another T500 and it will have Win 7 (64 bit). I am presuming it will have a Win 7 recovery disk. If I use the recovery disk to restore the older T500 will that give me the EE on that machine as well? I expect I would have to enter the old o/s license code on the old T500 and that the 32 bit o/s would be replaced by the 64 bit version.

The machines are slightly different in that the older one had integrated graphics so some of the drivers would be different, but I don't imagine this should be a problem as updated drivers should be available from the Lenovo site.

What do you think, will it work?