gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: Lenovo Win 7 Enhanced Experience

[ Edited ]

jamesnb wrote:

Hi Goretski,

So, this Device Experience contains "dozen" of tweaks and fixes that would "enhance" the Windows version on the Thinkpad? (things such as quicker boot time, 50% faster shutdown time, etc...)

I belive you are thinking about the "Lenovo Enhanced experience" and not the "Device experience". I'm not 100% sure, but i'm under the impression that these two are two completely different things. The "Enhanced experience" should be the tweaks for faster boot and so on as you refer to, but the "Device experience" is a package of different tools like Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools, message center and so on. I read a lot of discussions about this and also read what device experience actually install and as far as i understand the Lenovo enhanced experience is the secret tweaks you will get only if using the pre installed Lenovo image. What the enhanced experience actually do seems like a big mystery :smileyhappy: I'm pretty sure the "Device experience" as you can install when doing a clean install will not do the same tweaks.

-gan

Punch Card
jamesnb

Hi,

THe reason why I would do a fresh installation of Windows 7 is that, the pre-installed comes with lots of Bloatware that I do not need. And further, I also would like to partition the HD into 2 pieces, one for the System and the other for Data.

Is it really huge difference in term of Performance overall if the laptop run with Pre-installed (meaning EE) and the one without, besides the boot and shutdown time? If not, I don't mind waiting for a few more seconds...!

Best,

What's DOS?
quanyil

too slow to load the page

Punch Card
campus56

hi,

i just purchased a lenovo x201 computer [with windows 7 pro & xppro downgrade] which should arrive next week [i'm tracking the order].

because i configured it differently than the ones available on lenovo's x-series web page, and managed to obtain a discount from the sales person on the phone, the machine was not configured as an enhanced experience model. i'm told that i would need an entirely new machine to obtain an enh. exp. model.

would i notice the difference between this machine and an ee model?

should i return the machine i ordered and obtain one with ee?

or, just forgetaboutit?

thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Blue Screen Again
anishpld

Hi ,

I intend to Buy a Thinkpad L 412 next month.

But for now , I am willing to use my personal copy of Xp(or ubuntu ).(Will be buying it with dos)

NOW , I also will be upgrading to Win 7 with a Retail copy (Mostly Dec)

Will i Get the Enhances Experience tweeks if i install Win 7 later ?

or i am stuck with the regular installation of Win 7 ?

Plz help

Token Ring
napalm

jamesnb wrote:

Hi,

THe reason why I would do a fresh installation of Windows 7 is that, the pre-installed comes with lots of Bloatware that I do not need. And further, I also would like to partition the HD into 2 pieces, one for the System and the other for Data.

Is it really huge difference in term of Performance overall if the laptop run with Pre-installed (meaning EE) and the one without, besides the boot and shutdown time? If not, I don't mind waiting for a few more seconds...!

Best,

On Thinkpads there isn't "lots" of Bloatware pre-installed. There are installers and you can definitely use them to install the "bloatware" but if you don't then it doesn't get installed. The stuff that is pre-installed can be easily un-installed (Microsoft Live and Silverlight).

Your hard drive comes partitioned into 2 pieces C: and Q:. Q: is small and contains software that will generate a set of recovery disks. After you're done with that you can resize Q: to your liking (make it bigger and C: smaller).

Nap.

Blue Screen Again
ausmike

Re: Lenovo Win 7 ~~ upgrade provided by Lenovo

Well , after taking 6+ months for Lenovo & Mentor Graphics to send me an UPGRADE DVD of Windows 7 Ultimate;

I finally decided to upgrade my Wseries machine (4058) to SeVen.

I read all the forums; waited and learned a lot about the 'delights on new 7 !" and finally decided to upgrade it this weekend.

Woke up early this morning; and  plonked Dvd into the Dvd .......... and went to get my coffee downstairs.

ShOCK HORROR ..on my return all I saw was these writing in CHINESE on my screen.....

WOW I thought ! > after all the steps I took to get this UPGRADE DVD ....1) form to fill online ; WAIT !

2) email sent for Status ; WAIT !  3) Email sent for status  WAIT !  4)  EMAIL sent to  MARK_ FROM_Lenovo  WAIT

5) Msg sent on Forum to MARK_FROM_Lenovo  WAIT  6) Reply from MARK > info sent ; WAIT  7) NO DVD ,,,,, as at April 2010 ..WAIT  8) Finally got a DVD from Mentor Graphics - wrong version x 32 Inplace of of x64 .. msg sent  WAIT 9) wait   10) email sent for status > Lenovo wants proof of purchase! .. info sent  WAIT 11)  email received  > NO RECORD FOUND of PURCHASE  ( as original machine was returned due to faulty screen on Arrival ,,,, info sent of that ,,,,, WAIT 12) finally  arrived a DVD - June 14th... DELIGHT !!!

13th - the UNLUCKY DAY = when I decided to Finally do the UPGRADE !!! > found Chinese version of Dvd , - felt silly for NOT READING THE FRU number = 57Y2652 = Win& pro x32 Chinese= @lenovo website.

So am asking MARK @ Lenovo, to help me get a new CORRECT VERSION of WINDOWS 7 Pro x64 AMERICAN ENGLISH version please !!!

Yips sounds sad but true

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
What's DOS?
Grant

[ Edited ]

Just an FYI for those interested in the x201. The Lenovo Enhanced Experience doesn't actually work, the boot times are actually slower when compared to similar notebooks. Furthermore, the ThinkVantage tools can be considered bloat, due in part to pc doctor/diagnostistics, which interferences with antiviral programs, resulting in a high hard fault rate and a slow to start tool set.

I have an x201 with Windows 7 x64, i5-540M, 4 GB, 320 GB 7200 RPM notebook that takes 70 seconds to boot compared to a Dell Studio XPS 16 (Windows 7 x64, i5-520M, 6 GB, 500 GB 7200 RPM) that takes close to 40 seconds to boot.

pjg
Token Ring
pjg

Well, here's a bit of interesting news. I have a new T510 and compared the boot up times of the Lenovo factory configuration with my own clean configuration. I used 2 identical hard disks: one with the Lenovo image and one with my own image. Each image had exactly the same applications installed. The systems were booted many times to ensure that the prefetch area was caching the correct components. I conducted each boot up 3 times to average out the times.

Bottom line is that my clean install was on average 4 seconds FASTER than the Lenovo factory configuration.

So, what does "Enhanced Experience" mean?  It doesn't mean that their image will be faster than yours (should you re-install the system). I'm sure it has to do with how the drivers are built. So, if you want to re-install your system to get exactly what you want and no extraneous software (which I always do), you will get a system that is as fast or faster than what you bought.

If anyone wants to know the order in which I install s/w, just ask...

Punch Card
luky

I bought a PC Thinkcente M90p, which has loaded Windows 7 Professional x32 Lenovo Enhanced Experience. Now I want the computer to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64, which I bought in a shop. Since the drive is formatted and loaded on new Windows I am interested if that Lenovo Enhanced Experience it now worked. Thanks for the reply.