Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
GameX
Accepted Solution

Safe to remove Windows 7 and install XP instead?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've been thinking about something recently; I probably won't do this until a while, but for now, it's just an idea.  I'm using Linux Ubuntu on my Lenovo Thinkpad E420, and it really work like a dream.  I use Windows 7 way less, and I only keep it for a few reasons.

I find it too bad that Windows 7 use so much disk space, however!  20GB for the system alone, in fact (For Ubuntu, it's 4.5GB, with all the softwares).  I'm sure Windows XP will do the same job that Windows 7, even running a specific game that wouldn't work under Seven.

I know you're all wondering why would I use Windows XP when his support is ending in 2 years?  Well, instead of using 20GB, the system will use only 1.5GB.  That's 18.5 GB of Extra for Ubuntu.  It also demand way less ressources than Windows 7.  I do not plan on browsing on Windows XP, I'll do this in Ubuntu.  Simply put, the only stuff I'm going to do on XP are:

- Playing a few games (The most recent game being 2007);

- Using Adobe Creative Suite CS5 (Along with Adobe Premiere and AfterEffect CS4, maybe);

- Maybe using Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 (Run well in Ubuntu using Wine);

I know a lot of people still using Adobe Creative Suite CS3 while CS6 is out, so I don't see the problem of still using CS5 even when CS8 will be released.  And CS6 is supported for XP as well (Except for Premiere and AfterEffect).

The only disadvantage I could think of is that Windows XP x64 would manage only 2 of my 4 CPUs..  Will this be noticeable on performances?

So I was wondering about this, will it be safe to remove Windows 7 and install XP x64 instead?  Did the 1GB "System_DRV" partition still be necessary?

I am also aware that installing XP will erase GRUB bootloader for Linux, but I know the way to restore it.  I also burned my recovery DVDs from Windows 7.

Thanks for your advice!

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: Safe to remove Windows 7 and install XP instead?

Even if you install XP 64 bits on your system,there is no gurentee that the drivers will be available for it.

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Ideacenter Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Token Ring
GameX

[ Edited ]

I've been doing some ressearch, and I found out that as much odd as it seems, Windows Server 2003 would be a better choice.  Because the 32-Bit version would be able to manage my 8GB of RAM and my 4 CPUs without problem, unlike XP.  I also thought that Server 2003 would use less battery than XP.

So I created another NTFS partition to install Server 2003, check if this work before removing Windows 7 !

To make the setup boot proprely, I had to set the hard-disk to "Compatibility Mode" in the BIOS, otherwise I would get a BSOD (Same for XP).

The first part of the setup was successful, the files were correctly copied to the Windows 2003 partition I chose.  Then my laptop rebooted, and Server 2003 got.. confused.  Server 2003 would have proceeded to the second part of the installation, but booted from the first partition used by Windows 7.

As I was expecting, Windows Server 2003 deleted Windows 7 bootloader as well as GRUB for Linux.

I succesfully restored Windows 7 bootloader, and I am able to boot to Linux using my CD of GRUB.  I'm now going to restore GRUB, but something unexpected happened.

For some reason, GParted - the partition editor for Linux - wouldn't see anymore partition.  I'll have to check how to fix this on the Ubuntu Forums.  The partitions are still there, just no more visible by GParted - There are visible by Windows 7 and my GRUB CD, however.

There's something else I would like to understand as well; Windows Server 2003 randomly messed up something else: The files got copied in the right partition, but why did it randomly deleted my Lenovo_Recovery partition (Which was the last on the disk)?  Is there a reason for that?

So here's the main question of my post: is there a way to recover this partition?  It's not visible by Windows 7, not by GRUB as well.  Why was this partition used for, exactly?

I should mention that I still have my recovery DVDs I burned from Windows 7.  Was this partition still required?

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll have to stick with Windows 7, then. XD  In fact, I'm "lucky" Server 2003 haven't deleted anything else (I do have a full image of Linux).

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

I dont know what your requirements are why not try using Windows XP mode?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Ideacenter Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Token Ring
GameX

[ Edited ]

I attempted to install Server 2003 (And then erase Windows 7 if this would have been succesful), because I use Ubuntu as my primary OS, and Windows 7 use so much useless space that is not required - I can do the same thing of Ubuntu using way less disk space.

I chose Windows Server 2003 over XP, since this OS could have managed my 8GB of RAM and 4 CPUs, which is not supported by Windows XP.

In others words, I simply use Windows for a few games and Adobe Master Collection, so I felt like Windows 7 was wasting my disk space.

I'm not going to try another install; have to admit I was pretty lucky.  I've managed to recover the lost recovery partition, in the end!