Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Liliaceae
Accepted Solution

Screen collapsed when enable Intel GM45 by Switchable Graphics in W500 (above 4GB RAM installed)

I installed ThinkPad Switchable Graphics Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit and 32-bit) to my ThinkPad W500 running Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (x64).

When I enable Intel GM45 (Energy Saving Graphics), collapsed screen has been displayed.

Sample: http://www.o-rz.net/public/win7_intel_gm45_screen_collapse.png

This problem occurs only 6GB RAM (2GB+4GB) Installed. 4GB (2GB+2GB) is normal.

I don't have two 4GB Memory Modules so I can't test in 8GB installed system:smileytongue:

Fanfold Paper
WorLDsDiViDE

Re: Screen collapsed when enable Intel GM45 by Switchable Graphics in W500 (above 4GB RAM installed)

I've had the same problem running on just the Intel GM45 chipset as well with Windows 7. Currently running on a T500 with a 1GB+2GB RAM scenario and ended up changing to using only discrete exactly because of this problem.

If anyone can provide a solution it would be helpful.

802.11n
stealthth

Re: Screen collapsed when enable Intel GM45 by Switchable Graphics in W500 (above 4GB RAM installed)

It is a bug in the driver. If you have non matching size memory then this will happen. Will have to stick with ATi graphics until the official windows 7 driver is released.

Punch Card
feuse8

I still have got this problem with WIndows 7 Pro RTM x86, and the switchable driver version 8.641.1.1000 (via System update).

Has anyone got a solution for this?

ES
Punch Card
ES

The Vista drivers seem more stable.  Pain in the nose though...shows bad engineering on Intel's part.  I'm going to the computer store to buy a 2 GB  stick of DDR3 1066MHz RAM so that I have 2 x 2 GB of RAM.

I'm thankful for this forum, though.  Had it not been for the OP's post, I'd still be in the dark.  Is there a thread or a link that I can navigate to where I can find more info about this asymmetric memory issue with the Intel GM45 graphics?

Thanks...

ES
Punch Card
ES

OK.  I've replaced my 1GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM stick with a 2 GB stick and now have 2 x 2 GB RAM.  The screen "collapse" has gone away.  I'm both happy and sad that it worked.  Happy, because I now have a great looking screen again, sad because of Intel's crappy engineering. 

Punch Card
feuse8

[ Edited ]

Thanks ES for testing it. So we can be sure that this is an Engineering / Bios / Driver Problem that should be solved by lenovo right now.

If there are some more people having this Problem, please answer here!

Paper Tape
sv3n

Again, Thanks ES.  Would have been looking around all over the place for a solution if it weren't for the people on the forum.

xd0
Fanfold Paper
xd0

Same problem on my T400 2764CTO with 3GB memory...

Fanfold Paper
kmobuckley

I had this same issue on my x200 with (obviously) non-matching 3GB of total memory.  I was able to work-around by disabling Intel VT-D in the BIOS.

These drivers are a mess - It's shocking this is still a problem.