Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Psauce

Strange Wi-Fi connectivity issue

Hey all,
I'm having some difficulty with my WiFi connection.  The problem began over the summer, and has been getting progressively worse.  When the problem began, I was living in a different house.  I recently moved to a new house and the problem has continued and worsened at the original rate without skipping a beat.  In the specs below are the data for my CURRENT modem/router device, idk what my old one was.  My laptop is usually able to connect to the network extremely well; high download/upload rates and strong connection, etc.  However, occasionally and with no clear correlation to any other conditions or events, my connection drops.  There are 3 other computers (2 laptops and a desktop, the laptops are Macs and the desktop is running Windows 7) and an xbox in my house.  All of these have no such issue in connecting to the network.  My laptop is the only victim.  My drivers are all up to date.  The strange thing is that when my connection 'drops,' it doesn't really drop.  My laptop is able to see the network, but will not connect.  ThinkVantage Access Connections (TVAC) attempts to connect after losing the link but, after about 2-3 minutes of trying, gives up and tells me that the wep/wpa-psk information is not being accepted by the network.  Windows Network Connections (WNC) shows the yellow exclamation symbol and alerts me that I am connected, but that I have "no internet access."  Even after TVAC gives up and fails to connect, WNC still says I'm connected with no internet access.  This is really odd because I know for a fact that my wep settings and WEP key are correct becase I regularly use the connection with those settings and I never change them.  I also cross-checked with other devices in my house and mine are perfectly consistent and accurate.  My wireless devices report no problem in device manager.  I have scanned my computer with AVAST! free edition and Spybot, and there are no viruses or malware which can be detected by those programs on my computer.  The only way, in my old house and my new house, to remedy the problem (with maybe 80% success) is to reset my router/modem.  I must emphasize that no other device in my house needs this reset, the network itself functions PERFECTLY but for some reason my laptop needs a fresh signal to connect.  I usually get 4-5 bars of connection strength, but never less than 3 and the family desktop PC I'm using now is far enough away to get 3 constantly with no trouble or slowness of any kind.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  Any ideas?  Let me know if you need any other information, I'll post it once my laptop gets it's connection back long enough to post whatever diagnostics you need.

My laptop specs:

• ThinkPad T510
  • Windows 7 (latest version)
  • Lenovo ThinkVantage Access Connections (latest version)
  • Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
  • Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Router Specs:

• Verizon FiOS Router

- Model #: MI424WR for Verizon FiOS
          - Shipped Firmware Version 20.19.8
  • Network uses Static WEP key, 64-bit, 10 characters
Blue Screen Again
Psauce

Re: Strange Wi-Fi connectivity issue

bump

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 357
Solutions: 142

Re: Strange Wi-Fi connectivity issue

Hello,

WEP is an older, insecure wireless networking encryption protocol.  Have you tried switching the encryption protocol to a more modern one like WPA2 which is more resilient to attacks and seeing if that makes any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество