Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mahdi86
Accepted Solution

Stuck on Windows Vista with Lenovo G550?

Hi, I am experiencing a problem which is making me get really mad at Lenovo Customer Service and Microsoft at the same time. I am using a G550 with 1.8GHz Celeron CPU and 2GB DDR RAM with 250GB HDD and G4500 Graphics

Here my Problem:

I was quite happy when buying my laptop, and couldnt wait to install Windows 7 on it. As I did so, I figured out very soon that there are major issues with Windows 7 on my laptop, and I was not able to run any of my software. Games wouldnt run, the programs would crash and I felt fooled in a way. That was why I then thought of XP, which was a very simple OS, but at least would run all of my software on this Notebook that I had just bought. So I installed XP and I could not find all the drivers I needed, I was not able to run my WIreless LAN-Network and in total XP is a 9 year old piece of software, which has many security issues, and wont be suiting a new Laptop in this price category. I mean I spent some 500 dollars on this notebook, and then I end up running XP on it? No thanks!

So I moved to Vista, which was my last hope, and which would at least run my applications, not crash and updatable. And at least I could really use the ease of this notebook on Vista. But one thing that really makes me crazily mad is, that I happen to have the worst performance with Windows Vista. I run SP2, the start procress needs like 40seconds without logon. Another additional 20 seconds for loading all the autostart programs (which are just CA Anti Virus and the usual system stuff). Do I have to be stuck on Windows Vista forever? I am experiencing so many problems with this operating system, but somehow its just more convenient than old dusty XP and new crashy windows7. Is it really this bad, that after spending hundreds of dollars on a new laptop I have to stick ot vista, in order to stay up to date and use my old programs which windows 7 just wont run?

I think its bit of an Ironie that Microsoft does not solve their incompatibility issues with lenovo laptops, and that Lenovo does not care about the problems their customers experience.

I was very well surprised when I bought this notebook until I realized the problems like:

Disk turning on and off al the time

Incompatibility with Win7

Driver problems on old OS like XP

I think lenovo really ows us a statement, and Microsoft should really tell us what we are going to purchase before we buy it. Money doesnt grow on trees and I am not willing to spend a lot of money on OS and Notebooks that later wont run correctly.

Whats your opinion on this?

Mahdi

KalvinKlein

Re: Stuck on Windows Vista with Lenovo G550?

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome...
all needed driver you can get here  G550 Driver

all install systems ...
be sure that XP (Home or Prof) includes ServicePack 3 !
its most important because  (without SP3 you got problems with WLAN , S-ATA & HDA Sound) ...

...did you integrate the Intel storage matrix driver...?

This package installs the Storage driver to enable the following SATA Storage Controller on the system board:
- Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
download & uncompress  . ... than integrate on cd via n-lite you need this for sata...
get Intel Storage Matrix Driver ..

Be sure that your machine BIOS is prepared to boot ...
 to go in BIOS move via + and - so the result shown like this....
1: CD Drive
2: USB HDD
3: HDD  ....
delete all partitions...(if XP preinstall will not delete all linux partitions use parted or partitionmagic before install XP)
create a minimum 15 GB partition ...install XP

if basic installation done..go in device manager see which driver needed...

you have to install drivers in order....
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hint : All Driver manual Install:
Start Windows XP and logon with administrative privileges.
Double-click the driver package to extract it to your hard drive.
Click Start, then click Run...
Specify "SETUP.EXE" with the full path name where you extracted
the package in step 2, and click OK.
Example: C:\DRIVERS\WIN\VIDEO\"this filename"\SETUP.EXE
----------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Chipset
Wireless LAN

Audio

Intel Graphics / or Nvidia depends on  your machine

Ethernet LAN

Energymanagement

Touchpad

Bluetooth driver if machine comes with
if installed (the BT Envirement)
...click on --my bluetooth icon-- that installs devices...
...... and so on...

if all yellow points are vanished look at that in devicemanager

if all done..... update your system via ms update ...
& dont forget install an antivir software...update this too newest virusdefinitions..
------
Best is to made backup now.... before you install other programs ...
so that you can easy recover... without install the whole system again...

Vista ...
more easier to install...
delete all partitions...
if basic installation done..go in device manager see which driver needed...
install driver Intel Chipset...Wireless LAN
update your system via ms update ...
if needed Audio Intel Graphics / or Nvidia depends on  your machine Ethernet LAN

Energymanagement
Touchpad Bluetooth driver if machine comes with
if installed (the BT Envirement)...click on --my bluetooth icon-- that installs devices...
...... and so on...
all yellow points should vanished in devicemanager

& dont forget install an antivir software...update this too newest virusdefinitions..
--------
--------
Windows 7  ...
more easier to install...
delete all partitions...
if basic installation done..
update your system via ms update ...
look  in devicemanager... only a few drivers missing..install ...energymanagement ...

---------
---------

Next.....

read system requirements for ...your programs.... before you install ...check if there are any updates or a fix

for your system ...
....Some programs designed for XP will not working on Vista / Windows 7 .... ..

. check if there are updates or a fix
if there is no fix ...try to install in compatible mode as admin...

hope that help you ...

sincerely KalvinKlein

mahdi86

Hi and thanks ....danke....mersi...

First of all its VERY VERY KIND that you made the effort and tried to help me. Then I would like to say, that I did that allready. I have the latest drivers for vista, an anti virus, I updated the definition databases of the anti virus program, and I am using Vista. But: The harddisk keeps bugging, it spins down and up and up and down all the time. So that is the main reason why I am thinking about going to 7 again. But I fear using 7 because it will crash all my programs, so I dont really see a solution. If I want an operating system free of errors I will have to use Vista, but if I want an up to date one then I will have to use 7 which doesnt run my programs. It cant be worse, coz Vista is a huge error for itself.

Its slow, even with SP2 its working slow, and even if I update everything its still A LOT slower than 7. I would like to ask you, which operating system is the perfect one to suit this G550 from Lenovo? There was no sticker or anything on the notebook like " vista ready" or "vista cabable"

Thanks for your help in advande.

Kalvin: Bist du aus Deutschland? Are you from germany? Wie kann ich dich bewerten? How can I rate you?

All the best,

Mahdi

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi if you want to stay in vista...

Here you find some acceleration hints for vista ..

Vista Tune Up

if you running more XP based programs (esp.. games) why not choose XP ?

but thats your own choice ....

sincerely KalvinKlein

mahdi86

Hi my friend,

thank you for the efforts... Well I thought of installing XP but dont you think its a pitty? running a notebook like this, with 2GB of RAM with XP? Which is the recommended operating system for this Lenovo G550??

Greetz,

Mahdi

KalvinKlein

Hi... thats on your own choice.. 2GB of mem is enough to run all of them...

XP is the fastest , at an age of 9 years ...

Vista the slowest...

Windows 7 modern and nearly speed of XP even with more effects (glass) ...but you can programs in compatible mode..  ...each of them have pros and cons ....

its up to you ...choose your system...that brings you the most effort for your needs...

sincerely KalvinKlein

mahdi86

Hi my friend, do you happen to have benchmark or something, that will show my exact mashines performance on vista,7 and xp? it would be a great help, I mean I updated vista im running SP2 now, with a energy management, and its working fine, i mean, fast and no harddisk errors anymore, but I am afraid of going back to 7. Do you know this saying "never touch a running system"? it would be very contraproductive if I installed it and then it wouldnt work...

Thanks, Mahdi

KalvinKlein

Hi ... if machine running quiet well now... then dont touch it :smileyhappy: 

but i prefer to save  ...on usb drive ...  so you have a safety belt if something goes wrong with that..

sincerely KalvinKlein

Frankpoa

Hi guys!

I've got  a G550 which came with Windows 7 and I need to install Win XP in dual boot...  Have you ever experienced this?

I am finding some throuble once I can't install XP prior Win 7 (don't have the discs, just the OneKey Recovery that is not working because I had to change some partitions).

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Frank

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mahdi86

Hi Frank

ok, first of all you wont be able to install XP without a cd. Then 2. you will need to change the bios to S-ATA i think in order for XP to boot ur harddisk. I have heard abt these proplems when people where trying to isntall XP instead of 7 on this laptop.

Are you planning on running XP with 7 at the same time?

Mahdi