Support in other languages: 
802.11n
Kaso

T410s - Windows 7 64-bit - Fonts Not Shown

I received my T410s (2910 CTO) yesterday - Core i5 with integrated graphics, 4GB RAM, 250GB 1.8" hard drive, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I proceeded to install various apps from Microsoft Office and Adobe CS5. Installation went fine, programs started okay. As soon as I saw the extremely long list of fonts in Word, I wanted to remove as many of them fonts as I possibly could.

Brought up Fonts panel. Only 10 fonts -- yes, 10 puny, ancient, bitmap fonts. What? Excuse me, but I saw many fonts in Microsoft and Adobe apps. The fonts are indeed there, but they are simply not shown -- no Segoe, no Cambria, no Corbel, no Constantia, not even Arial and Times New Roman, nothing.

I got nervous and decided to restore the system back to the starting point. No luck. Same problem.

Today, I used the ThinkPad Toolbox to create the 3 factory-recovery DVDs from the Lenovo partition. Rebooted from the DVDs to rebuild C drive. Set up the system and created my account. Windows 7 came up fresh. I went straight to the Fonts panel to check. Horror -- the same 10 bitmap fonts.

What is going on? The Lenovo factory-installed Windows 7 has problems showing fonts? What should I do now?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Token Ring
napalm

Re: T410s - Windows 7 64-bit - Fonts Not Shown

They're probably somewhere in c:\windows\winsxs\

After the incredible idiocy of mandating the use of several versions of the same .dll file under the same file name, now they came with a duct tape "fix" to it.

Nap.

802.11n
Kaso

Thanks for your reply. The fonts themselves ARE there, in C:\Windows\Fonts as usual. I used a trial version of MainType to take a quick peek and, sure enough, they are all listed. The applications list the fonts for selection, too. But, somehow, somehow, Control Panel > Fonts does NOT show them at all. As I said, it shows only 10 ancient bitmap fonts -- and summarizes as such: "10 fonts". I tried changing to different views, but no luck. The Fonts "applet" is not doing its normal job!
Community Moderator
yigit

create new folder on desktop, copy all the fonts to the folder, then right click the font files and select install.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/organizingfonts.mspx

http://www.ki-themes.com
Token Ring
napalm

Ok, so on my T510 I can list a long list of fonts in c:\windows\fonts by using a command prompt window, but Windows Explorer will list only the 10 fonts previously mentioned.

So, if the fix is to "reinstall" them, my question is how did they get "uninstalled" in the first place? Windows 7 bug?

Nap.

802.11n
Kaso

Hi napalm, You observe the same problem on your T510, too?

People have been reporting the problem on various forums (one person even posts a screenshot that shows Control Panel > Fonts just like in my case, 10 fonts), but no one seems to understand the problem or have a fix.

Windows 7 bug? I seriously think so.
802.11n
Kaso

Token Ring
napalm

Kaso wrote:
Hi napalm, You observe the same problem on your T510, too?

Yes, T510 and Windows 7 64bits. It doesn't bother me as the fonts are available in Word etc. however I am curious why is this happening.

The more I look at it the more it seems that Win 7 is a piece of polished garbage.

Nap.

802.11n
Kaso

Ah, Windows 7 -- a lot of eye candies, but deep down a lot of garbage.

Yeah, I'm telling myself to live with the problem as long as I can still use certain fonts to create my documents.
Community Moderator
yigit

possible windows bug, have you tried to re-install office or graphic edit applications ( corel, freehand etc ) after installing?

http://www.ki-themes.com