Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
steve310

T500 Windows 7 Screen Corruption

[ Edited ]

I have reasonably new T500 (2242-CTO) that was originally loaded with Vista and 'downgraded' to XP. I've been forced to rebuild the machine and decided to go straight for Windows 7.
The T500 is noted as supporting Windows 7 and has been built as per the Lenovo instructions, here...
The build is done from a clean hard drive. I have run the build twice, once using ThinkVantage System Update 4.0 and a second time installing Windows 7 drivers in the specified order. Both resulting in the same problem.
Windows 7 (Ultimate, x86 version) fires up fine and runs with the Aero interface and everything looks fine. Transparency and window animation etc. is working. But after using the machine for a short time and opening up an application or two I get blocks of screen corruption, typically in areas of the screen being repainted. The corruption can be seen anywhere on the screen, including the taskbar area. Minimising then restoring typically cleans up the screen for a while.
On one occasion I heard what I believe was the hard disk powering down (a faint clunk) and corruption appeared at exactly the same time. 
The machine has the Intel X4500-HD graphics accelerator and if the driver for this is not installed then no corruption is seen (but the Aero interface isn't supported.)
When I used the Lenovo System Update method to build the machine there was a PC Doctor utility. The PC Doctor UI became corrupted prior to running diags but all of its video diags ran, looked fine, and passed.
From a graphics point of view the machine worked flawlessly under XP.
Steve
Uncompressed bitmap showing the corruption from screen grab;
Moderator note; embedded picture >50K converted to link
Blue Screen Again
steve310

Re: T500 Windows 7 Screen Corruption

Any chance of a response from Lenovo staff?

Thanks - Steve

xd0
Fanfold Paper
xd0

.Re: T500 Windows 7 Screen Corruption

I have the same problem when it was running on preinstalled Windows Vista and using Energy Saving graphic mode (the intel graphic card) .

But when I upgrade to Windows 7, the problem still occurs.

It is quite annoying...

any solutions?

(my computer is T400 2764CTO)

Fanfold Paper
kmobuckley

Re: .Re: T500 Windows 7 Screen Corruption

I had a very very similar problem with my x200 running on an Intel integrated graphics GPU (x4500).  The work-around I found to eliminate this visual tearing problem was to disable Intel "VT-D" in the BIOS.  I have absolutely no good reason why this works, but it did the trick for me.

Blue Screen Again
steve310

Thanks for the workaround kmobuckley. No corruption on my (3GB) T500 since disabling VT-d. I'll see how it goes.

Steve

Blue Screen Again
steve310

The T500 has 3GB RAM, and hence is configured as an 'unmatched', 2GB + 1GB, pair.

No corruption seen since disabling VT-d in the BIOS.

Have just installed Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, from scratch, with the requisite drivers from Lenovo (including the four or so 64 bit versions of the drivers.) Everything is back up and running as per Win 7 Ultimate x86 version, but the same screen corruption is still seen if VT-d enabled.

What's DOS?
RobinsonGrimes

I understand that this original topic has been posted under the Windows 7 forums, but I am currently having the same problem with a T500 running XP Professional 32-bit. VT-d is already disabled, so I don't think it is the underlying issue. I have ensured that all Windows and Lenovo updates have been installed, and that the video driver is up to date.  Has anyone found ANOTHER work around for this issue? Or, possibly seen it on an XP machine as well?

Blue Screen Again
steve310

Interesting... I've been running XP Pro x86 (32 bit), 3GB RAM and with VT-d enabled with the same hardware for the last six months and haven't had any screen corruption. Do you have an 'unmatched' pair of memory modules (like my 1GB + 2GB)? Are you running integrated or discrete graphics card?

Steve

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Steve310,

Thanks for all your efforts on this subject here in the forum, on this thread,  the one on the Windows 7 discussion board, and all of your off line efforts with Lenovo and Microsoft !  Much appreciated !

Kmobuckley,

Thanks for your updates on the VT-d work around.  No doubt, your discovery has helped many members here!

All,

Lenovo has released an official tip on this, and while it is possible there could be other factors that could cause video corruption under Windows 7, including the now removed .1968 version video drivers (.1855 are on the web at time of this post) it is believed that following one of the recommended alternatives in this tip, should resolve these symptoms for the majority of those experiencing them.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество