Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: ThinkPad X200 won't show max resolution in windows 7

[ Edited ]

I don't quite understand what you would accomplish by setting a resolution higher than your machine's native resolution. Unlike a CRT, with an LCD you can't scan "between" pixels, or illuminate a partial pixel.

In the rare occasion I've seen an LCD run at non-native resolution, it has looked horrible.

I'm clearly not getting something here.  Would you mind explaining further what you are looking to do?

Thanks,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Serial Port
cefe

I love the setting:

I set the maximum resolution so that the physical screen only covers a part of the available desktop: typically one quarter. Any part of the desktop not visible can be reached just by dragging the mouse toward it: when it reaches the edge the desktop shifts until you cease hitting the edge. When the edge of the whole desktop is reached it has no further effect.

It's like having a narrow field of vision (through a lens) and looking at a wide panorama. When you look through the camera you just turn around to make something enter the field of view.

Additionally I install an application like Winsplit that handles the windows and sends them to the corners for instance. I put one in each corner covering a quarter of the desktop and going from one to another just requires shifting the mousse across the screen.

Easy and wonderful at the same time. BUT you need to be able to set a resolution greater than the physical screen.

c

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Got it, thanks.   You are looking for "pan and scan", not actually forcing a higher resolution within the dimensions of the LCD.

Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense now.  Sorry I missed that in your OP.  I see some chatter on the interweb that this is a Windows 7 limitation.  No clue about that (obviously).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Serial Port
cefe

It isn't actually a limitation of Windows 7 because I have an older IBM X41 in which I installed Windows 7 and have that configuration running without a problem.

Regards

c