Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
o0TMS0o

Re: U330 + Windows 7 Drivers Problem & Solutions

not eligible ?

is that a joke ?

i bought my laptop in june 2009, and it is not eligible for W7 that when out 1month later for the pro, and 3 for the rest ?

lol ......

lenovo, always joking .. ^^

JaneL

o0TMS0o wrote:

not eligible ?

is that a joke ?

i bought my laptop in june 2009, and it is not eligible for W7 that when out 1month later for the pro, and 3 for the rest ?

lol ......

lenovo, always joking .. ^^

If you bought your notebook before the start date that Microsoft set, you would not be eligible for the free Win 7 upgrade, but you are certainly free to purchase it from either Microsoft or any number of vendors.  Lenovo has no control over how Microsoft enforces their own licensing terms.

Here is the info from Microsoft's web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade-option.aspx

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
kchen

Here are the results of a few trials I did today.

1) Installing ATI windows 7 driver from ATI website didn't fix switchable graphics

2) Using 'switchable' or 'discrete' in bios results in the same battery discharge rate of ~17,000 - 20,000mW. Even though it seemed like intel graphics is used in the 'switchable' mode, the discharge rate is still the same for both cases. I checked device manager (when i was in the 'switchable' mode) and the ati device is indicated as disabled (but somehow it is still consuming energy).

3) Using the energy management driver for windows vista (12.0.0.49974) in windows 7 also didn't allow switchable graphics. Discharge rate is similar using the old energy management driver.

I guess now I have to get used to carry the bulky charging adapter with me...

Serial Port
o0TMS0o

I'm totaly ok with that JANE,

I'm a student and i got my copy from MSDNAA, so I understand it's before Microsoft official release.

Does that means that lenovo is discharged from providing working driver ?

I don't think so, and more I think it's not legal as the laptop is rather new, and that windows 7 beta is out for almost a year now.

and by the way, started from the 26th of june, if you bought a new computer with vista, you can order for 20 euro (or almost) a copy of W7 (at least in France).

Fanfold Paper
radkow87

In my opinion the best solution would be creating new bios for our U330 with option for INTEL , ATI and both. Firstly we won't have problem with switchable graphics, plus we will be able to install windows xp.   

Punch Card
tudor

radkow87 I would have to agree with you, that if Lenovo would take the time to create an INTEL, ATI or both switch in the BIOS, then we would all be much happier. I do not see the reason why this would not be possible, but as I've read through the other forums it does not seem like this will ever happen.

With that said, Mark Lenovo is trying his best at getting stuff done at Lenovo, but it seems to me like there is no budget for the IdeaPads. I've been through battery replacements and I was hoping that Windows 7 would prolong the life of the battery, but from what I've read here it makes it worse than Vista. I do not know about you guys, but I am starting to get tired of the excuses and doing QA for Lenovo, when they should be doing this before they even release drivers. Therefore, the engineers releasing a faulty driver for windows 7 is not acceptable, I believe that it is even worse than not releasing a driver at all.

Fanfold Paper
radkow87

I don't think that there is a money problem. Lenovo still release new Ideapads so they probably have money. But the question is why almost all or even all Ideapads except U330 have good working drivers. I can't believe that they just can't somehow modify the thinkpads driver for switchable graphics and adjust them to ideapads. Lenovo should wake up from their dream in which their clients who need support are clients who bought THINKPAD. Why they released Ideapads if they didn't have plan for support them??

Serial Port
feng303

Are our laptops compatible with Win7?

Will we get a response?

Will we get drivers?

Can we use switchable graphics?

The answer, my friends, is in the company name. leNOvo. badumching. if this message gets flagged, no hard feelings. I just hope someone chuckled over this. 

Blue Screen Again
nlsqba

[ Edited ]

I found a solution for all my problems with U330...

I have just ordered a new laptop - so my U330 will be going for sale. I just wish Lenovo would offer a trade-up program for all Uunhappy U owners. I would be OK if they offered me $600 as a trade-in towards the ThinkPad line.

Good luck!

EDIT: We need to realize that IdeaPad will never be a ThinkPad. Even though the U330 could be a really nice laptop - is is simply an "inferior" model line. Providing such a service to their business customers (Thinkpad target group) would be a very expensive error. U330 owners complain on a forum - whereas business owners simply cancel orders.

Punch Card
nicholse86

[ Edited ]

Take a look at this list...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73594

List of Windows 7 Upgrade Capable Systems

Desktops

• ThinkCentre® A series
    A55, A57, A57e, A58, A60, A61, A61e, and A62
  • ThinkCentre® M series
    M55, M55e, M55p, M57, M57e, M57p, M58, M58e, and M58p
  • ThinkStation™ series
    D10, D20, S10, and S20
  • Value line desktop series
    Lenovo J110, J115, J200, J200p, J205, S200, S200p, and S205

Notebooks

• ThinkPad® L series
    L410 and L510
  • ThinkPad® R series
    R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i, R400 and R500
  • ThinkPad® T series
    T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T400s and T500
  • ThinkPad® W series
    W500, W700 and W700ds
  • ThinkPad® X series
    X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet, X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X300 and X301
  • ThinkPad® SL series
    SL300, SL400, SL400c, SL500 SL500c, SL410 and SL510
  • Value line notebook series
    Lenovo N500

See anything missing? Perhaps any computers from the Ideapad line? I am amazed that every single ThinkPad is considered Windows 7 compatible and yet not one single Ideapad is on that list. Now thats what I call supporting ALL your products for one of the biggest operating system transitions of all time.