Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
BushPilot

Re: U330 + Windows 7 Drivers Problem & Solutions

Feng,

I have read the post you linked. It raised two more questions. How do you put your laptop to sleep?

1 - Do you close the lid or do you press fn + F1?

If you are closing the lid to put to sleep, please try pressing fn + F1 to put to sleep, and tell me if you get the same result.

2 - When did you get your U330/ what version is it. Please let me know your hardware configuration. I don't think this should matter much though, since all u330's have same graphics set-up i believe. Just to be sure though.

Also, please try  uninstalling you anti-virus, and tell me if you get the same result. I had a problem where anti-virus was blocking code which allowed my computer to sleep correctly, and also caused switchable problems. I now use Symantec Corp. anti-virus. Much better.

Last, i just checked my drivers in device manager. Interestingly, my Intel Drivers report that they are  manufactured and provided by ATI. Both my ATI and Intel driver are the SAME EXACT VERSION - 8.652.1.100 dated 9/11/2009.

Basically, what this tells me is that ATI and INTEL graphics cards must be controlled  by one  driver (aka, 2 cards, 1 driver). Please confirm that this is the case by checking the properties of your display devices under device manager.

Last, i am using  Second display controller version 2.1.1.3 (can be checked in add/remove programs, at the bottom of box when Second display controller is selected). Please confirm.

If we are in fact running the same configuration, same drivers, using sleep mode in same way (i disabled "close lid to sleep" it is annoying to me, i want to close lid often and NOT sleep especially when using external display. I press fn + F1 to put comp in sleep, or let it do it by itself via power save settings), and there is NO software conflict (such as anti-virus) then i believe this furthers the conclusion that you are experiencing hardware error. I do not experience this issue that you have.

Serial Port
feng303

BushPilot wrote:

Feng,

I have read the post you linked. It raised two more questions. How do you put your laptop to sleep?

1 - Do you close the lid or do you press fn + F1?

Just tried Fn-1. doesnt work. 

2 - When did you get your U330/ what version is it. Please let me know your hardware configuration. I don't think this should matter much though, since all u330's have same graphics set-up i believe. Just to be sure though.

It was the first batch i believe sept 2008 

Also, please try  uninstalling you anti-virus, and tell me if you get the same result. I had a problem where anti-virus was blocking code which allowed my computer to sleep correctly, and also caused switchable problems. I now use Symantec Corp. anti-virus. Much better.

I did, doesnt work.

Last, i just checked my drivers in device manager. Interestingly, my Intel Drivers report that they are  manufactured and provided by ATI. Both my ATI and Intel driver are the SAME EXACT VERSION - 8.652.1.100 dated 9/11/2009.

Basically, what this tells me is that ATI and INTEL graphics cards must be controlled  by one  driver (aka, 2 cards, 1 driver). Please confirm that this is the case by checking the properties of your display devices under device manager.

Last, i am using  Second display controller version 2.1.1.3 (can be checked in add/remove programs, at the bottom of box when Second display controller is selected). Please confirm.

Yes, both drivers are the same version and date. 1 driver 2 cards. and i have the 2.1.1.3 for the wistronic second display controller.

If we are in fact running the same configuration, same drivers, using sleep mode in same way (i disabled "close lid to sleep" it is annoying to me, i want to close lid often and NOT sleep especially when using external display. I press fn + F1 to put comp in sleep, or let it do it by itself via power save settings), and there is NO software conflict (such as anti-virus) then i believe this furthers the conclusion that you are experiencing hardware error. I do not experience this issue that you have.

I'm Fed? i do everything like yours. it must be hardware? so all the other guys with these sleep issues have an older version?

Punch Card
BushPilot

I'm not sure if I can say if you are screwed, exactly. My U330 is on of the first as well. I received it in early November of 2008. However, with the information I have your problem simply does not make any sense.

Still, I am reluctant to conclude your problem is hardware based without having actually looked at your system.  I will keep at this issue though. For now though, its back to law school finals. Ugh.

- Pilot

Ctrl-Alt-Del
coldlazymo

hi feng,

quick question, are you using a modified slic 2.1 bios?

Serial Port
feng303

what is a modified slic 2.1 bios? i just downloaded the update on the lenovo website....i flashed it in vista, clean installed x86 win 7 , installed all drivers. then i clean installed x64, installed all drivers, still doesnt work. uninstalled reinstalled drivers countless times, in various orders. used safe mode to uninstall, deleted driver files from C:\drivers....i tried almost everything! :smileysad:

Ctrl-Alt-Del
coldlazymo

Hi feng

i was curious, as i am using a modified bios, and since it seems to be just you and me that are having this issue i thought that might have been something we had in common, apparently not.

i have done the same things as you, reinstalled countless times and still having the sleep issue. i am still using x86 atm though.

FYI a modified SLIC bios is a bios modified to be usable with OEM versions of windows 7. basically a hack to activate it when it first went RTM back in july or so. i have since bought the ultimate version and have been tempted to install it that way to see if that was the prolem with the sleeping issue.

but if you have done it the normal and are still having the issue then i have no idea what the problem could be.

Serial Port
feng303

my x64 ultimate is of questionable origin :smileywink: but with all updates and activation enabled. but my x86 is legit, bought student copy of home premium...i kept the hidden partitions and everything....im tempted to onekey it back to vista where the switchable graphics works. is theres some tool that monitors which processes are run when u resume sleep?

Core Memory
theletterj

@Feng & anyone using the SLIC 2.1 BIOS (from MDL): Full disclosure - I'm the one who cooked that one up and can tell you with complete honesty that nothing was changed from the original BIOS other than the SLIC table, Pub Key, and Marker. I didn't monkey around in the rest of the BIOS so if there is something wrong with the sleep states, that is a design failure on Lenovo's part that I am not a party to.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chipster

I don't want to seem like an a**, but I really REGRET getting this laptop. As a college, I didn't really have much money anyway, but my parents gave me money to get a laptop for school. Due to the horrible battery life (2 hrs- 3hrs) I stopped bringing it to school after my first semester. I am now in my thrid semester (2nd yr) and I just leave it at home, where it collects dust.

I recently brought it to school to study with. I was in the library with the battery at 75% and a time remaining showing 1:45 min. Ok, thats not so gret but ok. It died (turned off) within THIRTY minutes! It was on balanced mode, with screen brightness 2 from the lowest setting and on the ATi card.

This is with Windows 7 and the "new" BIOS upgrade. I really feel like I have wasted my parents money and it has become useless for me. Heck, my friends $400 15" acer from Staples last 4 hours!

This is the last time I ever buy a Lenovo, or even recommend a Lenovo to anyone.

Serial Port
feng303

[ Edited ]

Chipster, as a recent graduate, i can only suggest to you to use vista on it, and call them if still under warrenty to get you a new battery. you think its not a good use now, after you graduate and star working you'll have it plugged into your monitor all the time and never use it as a "portable" laptop.

Wow, does Lenovo not sell the u330 anymore?

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=E43D2699BCE742179B81FE831165E337