Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
tonynca
Accepted Solution

U330 + Windows 7 Drivers Problem & Solutions

[ Edited ]

U330 Windows 7 Drivers

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=16

News Updates

11.4.09 - BIOS Release Fix Switchable Graphics and More

The new bios version 67 fixes switchable graphics issues from before and also enables VT mode for Intel's processor. Click here to download.

3.15.10 APS driver updates  see links below

4.28.10 - BIOS update in test to address power consumption when using switchable graphics and resuming from suspend / sleep state.  Will update once the BIOS is released to the web.

Problems with U330 drivers:

-APS is not accurate

Solution: Download and apply lattest APS drivers.

Download 32 bit Win 7

Download 64 bit Win 7

-Switchable graphics not working on both x86 and x64 platform

Solution: Download latest BIOS from here then flash your laptop and reinstall ATI Discrete Drivers.

-Screen brightness cannot be adjusted if switchable graphics is selected in the BIOS.

Solution: Should work now after you flash BIOS and reinstall discrete drivers.

-Windows restart will be stuck at a black screen (Not sure if this is related to drivers but most likely)

-Secondary Display and Extended Display do not work

Please send me a PM if you found solution to any of the problems listed above so I can update the thread. Thank you!

Recommendations:

Run Discrete Graphics

I've been playing around with the crippled drivers lately. I found that it's probably best to run discrete graphics since Intel GPU isn't really saving you power at all. I'm using drivers available through ATI's website. I'm getting around 3 hrs with power saving mode with some adjustments. My brightness adjustment works with ATI drivers and Window's dimming capability works. So in the long run that will probably save you more power than running Intel GPU. If anyone is able to get better battery life please let me know.

Disable APS

APS is not working properly so it's better not to have it at all in my opinion. It's constantly stopping the hard drive even though there are no strong vibrations or movement.

APS drivers have been updated and are reported to resolve prior issues.  

Punch Card
bluejade

Re: U330 + Windows 7 drivers finally!

Well, the trick of adjusting brightness works!

My switchable graphics works fine too.

I hope lenovo will fix the problem of adjusting brightness soon.

Punch Card
cncarrollton

[ Edited ]

bluejade said: "My switchable graphics works fine too."

What version of Windows 7 do you have, x86 or x64?

I'm about to try it on my x64 win7 pro right now. If it is the 32 bit that work, i'm willing to reinstall windows.

Punch Card
bluejade

to cncarrollton:

I'm using windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Punch Card
cncarrollton

Doesn't work on win7 64bit. I'll find sometime to install 32bit version later. Thanks

Btw, my battery indicator is still terrible: 48 min (61%) remaining

Punch Card
tonynca

Does anyone notice that APS censor is not so acurate?

Fanfold Paper
radkow87

Hi,

I think that APS is not working properly. It is too acurate. When I just move my laptop in APS application I can see that my laptop is shaking for a 30 seconds and then my hard drive is stopped. I knew that everything couldn't be great. How can they  (Lenovo) publish drivers without testing them?? Now there are two drivers, first the MOST important - switchable graphics - and now APS. I am just wondering why always Ideapads have to have problems with drivers?? We were waitng for a year without any support and now they give us faulty drivers. CONGARTUATIONS Lenovo!!!

Serial Port
feng303

im using 32 bit home premium and it doesnt seem to be working.....anyone else? I installed the wistron second control device too. the error by the device manager is "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

anyone else run into this?

Serial Port
feng303

Update: When I right click the destop and click the switchable graphics like before, my screen flashes twice and nothing really happens.

Also, has anyone had any reboot problems? I tried to reboot my computer a few times and it just stops and refuses to restart, with a black screen. After a hard shut down the computer boots up fine. Anyone? lol

Punch Card
cncarrollton

My u330 behave the same when trying to restart from win7 but it stuck at black screen. Press once to turn off and another to turn on again.

So switchable graphic does not work with 32bit version? I thought someone here have it working ???